PDA

View Full Version : SC10 2 into SRX

fourbarrel
12-13-2007, 09:53 PM
I have an SC10 2 from an MXZ chassis and am about to tackle the project of grafting it into my SRX and luckily my bud has an MXZ 800X to take the hole measurements from.What I would like to know is will I need drop brackets for the rear mount location or is the proaction tunnel deep enough to drill the new hole without getting into location issues.I briefly looked at my buds sled the other day but didn't have a tape measure with me so I don't know right off what I'm in for.Has anyone else done this before that could answer this for me?

Viper Treats
12-13-2007, 10:05 PM
I think you need drop brackets. I tried a SC10III in a viper without drop brackets and you couldn't get any ski pressure. Drop the suspension and make a template from your buddies skid, make sure the year models match skid and sled unless you can verify with doo guys you have a match. Trust me dropping the suspension is worth the trouble for the measurements, doos are really easy to drop. You can use the CB performance drop brackets, but I think the rear shaft on that skid is 1.5" dia, it was on the SC10III anyway. So you have to have someone mill the slot larger in the CB bracket if you use it and it works great. Let me know if you need anything else, I can get you pictures if you need them.

bluewho
12-14-2007, 07:28 AM
I put a sc10111 in my srx last weekend.found the sled does not sit to high in the rear end at all using the origanal rear washers on the tunnel.I have yet to try it so i cant give you any feedback on that but can give you a fast way to install.Remove rear washer put behnd washer on one side drill do other side.measure231\2 from that hole to the front on the inside of tunnel mark.Remove front brackets from the sled and set them on the top of the ledge that holds the tunnel coolers,centre over your mark and drill\rivot.Strap skid down to 231\2 and install.You will notice the rear holes are larger than the front as well.Vipers set higher so that could be the reason for drop brackets.

Sno-Xr
12-14-2007, 07:54 AM
I think the problem ViperTreats had wasnt that it sat to High, but just the oppisite. The more you drop the rear mounting bolt (not the rear of the sled), the more ski pressure you will get.
Think of it as 3 pressure points, 1) ski spindle 2) front of rear Skid 3) Back of rear skid

Keeping the geomotry between those three is the Key to proper mounting.

The the higher (in the tunnel ) you mount the rear (#3) the less ski pressure, the sled will essentialy teter toter on point #2. The lower (below the tunnel) you mount the rear, the more ski pressure. All the weight of the sled will be on the skis and rear point(#3).

Good luck

Viper Treats
12-14-2007, 01:18 PM
Yes, Xr, it sat too low.

bluewho
12-14-2007, 04:15 PM
So long story short i would say no drop brackets needed for a srx but a viper being 3 or so inches higher in the front yes you do need them.The measurements i gave have been tried on a half dozen srxs so we have good placement.

Viper Treats
12-14-2007, 05:04 PM
blue you got any pictures of your install?

bluewho
12-17-2007, 02:29 AM
I will snap some pics this week.Was out on the trails today trying it out whiteout conditions from the storm in the fields,and big 3 to 4 ft snow drifts in the old raillines.First impressions were the sled still handles as well in the corners and does not kickback at you when hitting any sucker bumps.

Viper Treats
12-17-2007, 01:38 PM
I got out on the viper with the SC10III a little on the lake, but no trails. I just got some pics also, I will post em sometime. So far so good. I think I like the height so far, doesn't feel tippy. I don't think it hooks up too well, not sure if it is a weight transfer thing, or just time for a new track, or conditions on the lake, etc. so many factors...

Pictures...

bluewho
12-27-2007, 07:22 PM
VT i think the transfer block should be flipped over there should be no gap at the front when no wieght is on the sled.That might help.I ran mine on the trails today and was very happy with the ride.I cant believe how close it is to a good setup proaction.It will still rail around corners and not feel to cushy when doing so.[not tippy at all].I cant say it sucks up the bumps like a 12" skid will but there is a peace of mind knowing that you are not hurting it when big slammers are pounding the sleds ride.Transfer and hookup is very good but have not got it on ice yet.

mulderdad
12-27-2007, 08:13 PM
WE WANT PICS BLUE!
How was your Christmas man?
When ya coming up for a rip?
Cheers,
Rick.

bluewho
12-27-2007, 08:39 PM
Hey rickster lets see....to lazy for pics just wana ride..ate to mutch...and as soon as you say haliburton lake is frozen over.I will snap some tomorro now that i know the switch was worth it.Get that new appex to the bar yet?

mulderdad
12-27-2007, 09:33 PM
Actually havn't been ridin too much yet. Couple hundred miles or so.
Had a couple good runs down airport rd and 25th side rd the other day. Saw 110 on speedo once and 112 on speedo another time.
Ran out of room had to start letting up. My spedometer gear has two teeth ground off.
Peter (the guy i bought it off) says its bang on with gps. We'll find out this winter at the lake runs with the gun.
I need a good long haul on the lake to really see what she'll do!
C YA,
Rick.

bluewho
12-27-2007, 09:39 PM
The big strech on haliburton lake should do.I would think lol

wantsnow
12-27-2007, 11:58 PM
Why is the Ski-doo suspension soo much better?? I am fairly new to Yamaha but I do not understand the need to change skids. I ride fairly aggressive but by no means am I a sno-X racer and find the stock suspension to be just fine over the rough stuff. Maybe I do ride like a puss y?? Or is it needed for the fatter guys out there? I am about 200lbs. and feel the OEM susp. is just fine. Can someone please educate me on the benefits of putting Ski-doo parts on a Yamaha.

mulderdad
12-28-2007, 05:46 PM
Most of the other mfgs sleds do ride better than our older yammies.
Especially the srx's. They are made to rock on the lakes and the GROOMED trails, which they do very well.
Some guys that are getting up there in age like bluewho need the extra suspension to keep up to the younger more aggressive riders! LOL!
Sorry Len!LOL!
Nobody on haliburton lake yet.
Just talked to Brad and Maria(actually June called them b/c i hate the phone) they said no way yet. Barely covered over.
I will call them in a week or so to see how we are doin for ice.
Cheers,
Rick.

bluewho
12-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Here it ishttp://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/bluewho2007/IMG_1186.jpghttp://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/bluewho2007/IMG_1191.jpghttp://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/bluewho2007/IMG_1191.jpg

mulderdad
12-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Nice cars man!

mulderdad
12-28-2007, 05:55 PM
I have some yellow 45 degree bar end that would look great on your sled.
Let me know if ya want em and I'll ship them to ya.
Cheers,
Rick.

bluewho
12-28-2007, 05:57 PM
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/bluewho2007/IMG_1192.jpghttp://ihttp://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/bluewho2007/IMG_1187.jpg166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/bluewho2007/IMG_11http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/bluewho2007/IMG_1190.jpg92.jpghttp://i166.photobucket.com/albuhttp://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/bluewho2007/IMG_1189.jpgms/u94/bluewho2007/IMG_1192.jpg

bluewho
12-28-2007, 06:01 PM
I just put wider bars on it today shure i could use them.http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/bluewho2007/IMG_1188.jpg

bluewho
12-28-2007, 06:16 PM
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/bluewho2007/IMG_1193.jpgThis is my ranch.

pro116
12-28-2007, 06:29 PM
Why is the Ski-doo suspension soo much better?? I am fairly new to Yamaha but I do not understand the need to change skids. I ride fairly aggressive but by no means am I a sno-X racer and find the stock suspension to be just fine over the rough stuff. Maybe I do ride like a puss y?? Or is it needed for the fatter guys out there? I am about 200lbs. and feel the OEM susp. is just fine. Can someone please educate me on the benefits of putting Ski-doo parts on a Yamaha.

You don't realize how much better of a ride it is until you change it.Pretty much everyone I know that rides hard has broken a famous yamaha w arm or two,three.

With the other skids the free up the the rolling resistance making the sled faster and better gas milage.They make the sled alot more plush in the stutters and take the big stuff alot better.The guy's that took there proaction's out of there rx1's and put in sc3's said they ride better then yamaha 136" mono suspension in there attack's.I just installed a polaris skid in a xtc.I will post results and pics after i get some miles on it.I have an extra sc3 skid out of a 2005 rev if interested with right around 1000miles on it.

fourbarrel
12-28-2007, 06:36 PM
Hey Blue thanks for posting the pics it clears up a few questions I had for ya on the bolt holes.In one of your previous posts you mentioned the quick way to do the holes and the rear one is a piece of cake but the front one is a bit unclear.You state to measure 23 1/2 from the rear hole to the front and mark the distance then use the inside bracket to find the actual hole location from there by placing the bracket,I assume here,on the foot boards,or at least even with the bottom of them if doing this on the inside of the tunnel and use the 23 1/2 mark to find the right spot correct?Another thing is about strapping the skid down to 23 1/2";could you explain why you do this?

bluewho
12-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Fourbarrel the skid must be pulled down to 231\2 to duplicate the mounting holes from the sled it came out of.The pressure is needed because of the coupleling link that is hooked from the front w arm to the rear shock.It sets a preload on the coulpler for transfer.Measure on the inside of the tunnel from the rear hole you made.Remove a front bracket[drill out the heads of three rivots and grind the base of one rivot from the inside]set the bracket on the inside of the tunnel on top of the little ledge that holds running board coolers.

fourbarrel
12-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Thanks Blue,makes sense after you just explained it that you'd have to preload the skid when it gets installed.One question that I forgot to ask before is how did you come to start from the rear when you make the first hole and measurement?Is this the way you found it easiest to do the install?I'm not criticizing your instructions at all as I'll be doing it this way for sure I'm just curious how you come to use this method.I know of a few other SRX's in my area and I'll be hanging onto these instructions in case they decide to change their skids too.Thanks again for all your patience with all the questions.

bluewho
12-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Well i got lucky.....like i said before somebody else gave me the specs[ty members also] i think this is the best way to describe\install.sent you a pm 4b its not a pig of a job so dont be chicken to try it.

bluewho
03-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Coulple guys looking for info on this.

MrSled
09-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Can any of you guys supply the dimensions needed and or how you build drop brackets or whatever. I need to mount a SC3 in my brothers SRX and want to here from you guys that have done it... thanks

pro116
09-14-2008, 03:33 PM
I put a sc10111 in my srx last weekend.found the sled does not sit to high in the rear end at all using the origanal rear washers on the tunnel.I have yet to try it so i cant give you any feedback on that but can give you a fast way to install.Remove rear washer put behnd washer on one side drill do other side.measure231\2 from that hole to the front on the inside of tunnel mark.Remove front brackets from the sled and set them on the top of the ledge that holds the tunnel coolers,centre over your mark and drill\rivot.Strap skid down to 231\2 and install.You will notice the rear holes are larger than the front as well.Vipers set higher so that could be the reason for drop brackets.

Tom not shure if you missed the dimensions

MrSled
09-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Can someone supply some pics and or a drawing the mounting, so I am 100% sure of the position. Or Ryan, maybe you could come give us a hand and then I know it will be in correctly.

rockmeister
10-13-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm with Tom here.
This isn't clear to me at this point.
Have a SC3 I want to put in my Warrior, but am need of dimensions.

Usually you need the following dimensions:

From Drive Shaft to front skid mount.
From front mount to rear mount. (Believe you are saying this is 23 1/2")
From inside top of tunnel to front mount. (Believe you are saying this is 5 1/2")
From inside top of tunnel to rear mount.
(These dimensions are usually from the donor sled and duplicated on the project sled.)

I take it the 231/2 is actually 23 and 1/2 inches between the two skid mounting points front to rear and center to center?
And maybe 5 and 1/2 inches down from top of tunnel to center of front mount?
And this 5 1/2" drop is measured on a semi-circle with a radius of 23 1/2"?

Is this a 121" skid?
Can you get me the measurements from the center of the drive shaft to the front and rear mounts? (or even the rear edge of the drive shaft would work.)
Can you get me the measurement from the top of tunnel to the rear mount?

Let me know if I am on the right track here!
Thanks! :)

bluewho
10-15-2008, 04:55 PM
your right your right.....121 skid coupled [pulled down with a ratchet strap]to the doo measurement off of the donor sled.The only thing you are missing is the back measurement[that is the most important for track adjustability and is the yamaha side tunnel washer bolted behind the other one as said in the pic.So i work from the back to the front.Hope this helps

MrSled
10-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Something on this is not right.... I need more info

MrSled
10-25-2008, 10:15 PM
What has been posted is only good for SCIII that do have a cross shaft front arm. We installed a SCIII in a srx from a Rev and you will need to grind the front brackets and move them forward to maintain a 25 1/2" center to center with 1/2" preload.

Front holes are aprox 8 3/4" from drive axle, 4 3/4 down from inside tunnel, 25 1/2" on center with 6 3/8" down in the rear.

maxdlx
10-26-2008, 05:44 AM
remember if you are going in a rx based sled you measure from the bottom of the tunnel protectors down not the top of the tunnel. I know yu guys are talking srx, but I saw one post on a warrior. It won't work from top of the tunnel on them. Maxdlx

maxwell
10-30-2008, 06:44 PM
So I am installing a SC10 III (sc10 3) in my viper. Came out of a 2003 MXZ.

Front mount 5.5" down and ?? back from flats on driveshaft
Rear mount is ?? down and 23.5 back from the front mount.

Maddogs700srx
12-28-2008, 08:11 PM
Is this post dead or is there any more info on this. I am installing a skid from an 03 rev into a 00 srx and still see a bunch of different measurements listed on here for this. Thanks

MrSled
12-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Depends on the skid came from?? there are 2 doo skids with different center dims.

Maddogs700srx
12-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Well, this is from a 03 rev 121. It has the front cross bar mount not the offset front mount. It is and adren skid.

bluewho
12-28-2008, 09:15 PM
There is some confushion in years measurement.I posted for a 2002 mxz skid.If your buying a skid get the axle to axle measurement from that sled from doo talk or from a sled and we can go from there.

MrSled
12-28-2008, 10:05 PM
Then dont use my directions use the other center to center dim listed.

Maddogs700srx
12-29-2008, 06:26 PM
Ok, I have the doner sled in my yard. I did some measuring tonight and here is what I came up with.

From Center of the drive shaft to the center os the front mount. 10.00 In.
From the Top of the tunnel to the center of the front mount. 4.5 In.
From the center of the front mount to the center of the rear mount 24.00 In.
From the top of the tunnel to the center of the rear mount. 6.25 In.

All the center to center measurements are direct from bolt to bolt.

Does any of this sound close to what others are coming up with?

Maddogs700srx
12-29-2008, 06:30 PM
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn150/Maddogs700srx/Mikes%2003%20Rev/IMG_1342.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn150/Maddogs700srx/Mikes%2003%20Rev/IMG_1346.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn150/Maddogs700srx/Mikes%2003%20Rev/IMG_1350.jpg

bluewho
12-29-2008, 07:41 PM
That looks like the one i installed.

The way to check were to install it is
#1 Set the proaction up on the floor to bolt hole measurements from its sled.
Use visegrips on transfer rods [to hold up]and a piece of wood to hold up the middle axle.Track adjusters backed right off.

#2 Back the adjusters off of the new skid.And ratchet strap it down like you have to the old sled measurments.

#3 Roll both skids side by side and line up rear axle wheels.[Collapsed]... measure the differance of the two top rear axles.

#4 Now you have the back measurement for adjusting the track after you put it back in.

Anotherwords this will take advantage of the full track adjustability If you were going to put a new track in at some time this will be right.Or a old track will have lots of adjustment.

You will want to use the old rear yamaha outside tunnel washers and they will go 2 3/8 inches back from the old hole.Or set one washer behind the other one for location.These will have to drilled out for the larger bolts that are needed.

#5 Have the very front yamy brackets removed from your sled.
This will take a drill for the rivots and a grinder for the ones in backwords to remove.

#6 Measure from the new rear holes to 24 inches[if that is what you have]on the inside of the tunnel and mark.

#7 Place the brackets on top of the lip for the tunnel coolers over centre of your mark than rivot and drill.This should be around 4 5/8 down from the top of the outside of the tunnel.

I had to pull the limiters up one hole because my sled is not as high as the doner sled was.

I really hope this helps i cant explain it any better and have never done the type that mrsled has done so it is best to talk to him about that style.
I did this on my srx and flipped front brackets for the ohins but have seen it left stock.

len

Maddogs700srx
12-29-2008, 08:22 PM

In an earlier post you mention using the front brackets to locate the front mounting hole. Just to be sure you meant the stock front mount brackets correct? Not the stock center mount brackets right? Just want to be clear. I have a ton of holes in this tunnel from all the different skid and track configurations I have had in it and don't want to add any more that I need to. Thanks

Maddogs700srx
12-29-2008, 09:14 PM

The way to check were to install it is
#1 Set the proaction up on the floor to bolt hole measurements from its sled.
Use visegrips on transfer rods [to hold up]and a piece of wood to hold up the middle axle.Track adjusters backed right off.

#2 Back the adjusters off of the new skid.And ratchet strap it down like you have to the old sled measurments.

#3 Roll both skids side by side and line up rear axle wheels.[Collapsed]... measure the differance of the two top rear axles.

#4 Now you have the back measurement for adjusting the track after you put it back in.

Anotherwords this will take advantage of the full track adjustability If you were going to put a new track in at some time this will be right.Or a old track will have lots of adjustment.

You will want to use the old rear yamaha outside tunnel washers and they will go 2 3/8 inches back from the old hole.Or set one washer behind the other one for location.These will have to drilled out for the larger bolts that are needed.

#5 Have the very front yamy brackets removed from your sled.
This will take a drill for the rivots and a grinder for the ones in backwords to remove.

#6 Measure from the new rear holes to 24 inches[if that is what you have]on the inside of the tunnel and mark.

#7 Place the brackets on top of the lip for the tunnel coolers over centre of your mark than rivot and drill.This should be around 4 5/8 down from the top of the outside of the tunnel.

I had to pull the limiters up one hole because my sled is not as high as the doner sled was.

I really hope this helps i cant explain it any better and have never done the type that mrsled has done so it is best to talk to him about that style.
I did this on my srx and flipped front brackets for the ohins but have seen it left stock.

len

Makes perfect sence to me. Thanks for the info.

bluewho
01-01-2009, 08:56 AM
You could also cut the installation time down by haveing some front brackets ready to install from a parted out sled tunnel.Than you could put the proaction back in if there ever was a need to do so.The rear hole is not a problem as it will catch the bracket on the inside of the tunnel.

Maddog Let me know how you make out.

Tks len

stretchSXV
01-02-2009, 12:19 PM
here's what I'm looking at now. It's from a 04 rev with 1,100 miles on it. I have someone looking at my m-10 so it that sells I'm going with the doo skid b/c I love the way my wives rev handles the whoops. So I will be looking for help on this and I hope I'll have no more skid issues. ;)!

bluewho
01-11-2009, 08:16 AM
Maddog did you ever get around to doing this?I was woundering how you made out.

Yamasquaw
01-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Maddogs spec's are the closest to what i took from a 01' mx-z 700. All my measurements were from center lines transfered to upper inside of tunnel.

bluewho
01-15-2009, 11:03 PM
The only measurement needed is 24.75"

The skid has to remain that distance to work properly.

Cog shaft locations on a doo and a srx are differant.Thats why checking rear axle adjustment tells you were to put it.

Maddogs700srx
01-16-2009, 08:51 AM
Ya, I got it in. Went fine. Still needs some adjusting. Have not had much time to do any thing with it.

Maddogs700srx
01-16-2009, 08:54 AM
The only measurement needed is 24.75"

The skid has to remain that distance to work properly.

Cog shaft locations on a doo and a srx are differant.Thats why checking rear axle adjustment tells you were to put it.

I agree that they are in different locations, however the track is still the same length. Measuring center lines from the cog shaft back will net you the same results. I marked mine out using both methods and the same results(within a .25"). Which the track adjusters will make up for.

bluewho
01-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Well thats good its nice to have differant referance points before drilling.

bluewho
10-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Its that time of year again.

Sledsquatch
10-29-2009, 04:56 PM
No one has never asked this, if all these doo owners are selling their old skids to yammie owners, then what are doo owners using? If we always upgrade, then why dont we just upgrade to the better step so we can stay ahead of the doo's?

I have to much time on my hands.

bluewho
10-29-2009, 05:05 PM
I hear ya i often wondered what happens to all the old sleds.Yamaha builds the best moters so there is a need for a better suspenshion doo on the other hand is the complete oppisite.

I have been rideing my 98s every year now so thats 11 seasons.The wifeys srx has 20 thousand klm without the moter even being touched.(needs rings now)lol

I have over 30 thousand klm on mine rebuilt 2 years ago and will still ride it untill yamy makes the sled i want to replace it.

So going to another brand skid was a no brainer for me.Steel bushings/not plastic/lighter/rides better/and handles the corners almost as well as the old one

mulderdad
10-29-2009, 09:05 PM
Good point blu.

Whammy
10-29-2009, 10:15 PM
Hey Blue, I installed a sc10III into my srx this summer according to your specs, looking forward to trying it out... I also just purchased a 2009 sc10V I think its a 5 out of a mxz renagade 1200 137" for my 2003 venture.. I have to take some more measurements, but wondered if you had any mounting ideas for it. The back upper shaft with the wheels is an 1 1/4" longer than the yame. The yamahas mounted on the inside of tunnel as the doo is mounted underneath running boards. I do have the doo brackets but dont think I have to mount it that low.. Any thoughts?

bluewho
10-30-2009, 06:12 AM
Do a mockup wham with the weight on the skid even with a bud on it checking if you like were it will sit.Should be easy with the brackets you have for the rear.The front maybie a block of wood to hold the axle away from the top of the tunnel.

If it sits to high remove the top axle and after checking the depth of the holes cut the axle to size and drill and tap the threads so you can rebolt.Or will another axle work?

staggs65
11-30-2009, 11:02 AM
:bump:
things are starting to pick up, good to have this thread near the top

Yamasquaw
11-30-2009, 06:52 PM
just waiting on seals for chaincase then i will post pics of my new sc 10 III install.

staggs65
12-27-2009, 12:29 PM
bump for 04rxw10

04rxw10
12-27-2009, 01:59 PM
thanks staggs