Thread: 1991 Exciter Carb jetting & advice

Junior Member Mini

Default 1991 Exciter Carb jetting & advice

here's my dilemma:

i just picked up a 91 exciter that needs a bit of work. keep in mind it has a bender pipe on it. i got it home and got it running but 3/4 - full throttle very rough operation and the engine misses. while the track was off the ground I held it wide open for 5-8 seconds while it was missing then flipped the choke. this had no impact on the way it ran. i then tried the same thing again, held it wide open for 5-8 seconds then turned the key off. i took out the plugs and they were wet and black. i'm thinking too much fuel on top end, main jet too big?? i removed the carbs and it looked like the pilot jets were partially clogged. the main jets i found installed were 320 and 42.5 pilot. the needle is clipped in pos 3 (1/2 way). i cleaned the carbs and re-installed them. here's the kicker. when it started now it revs very high and turns the track and little to no effect when applying throttle. i ran out of time to dis-assemble and look to see if i frigged something up, maybe i forgot to re-install a pilot jet? i didn't
    see one left on the work bench but i rushed the re-assembly and my work abruptly ended as i didn't have time to look around. any suggestions? what are stock jets? and what would be a good starting point for re-jetting with this bender pipe? i live at an alt of roughly 600 feet. thanks.

ps, what a pain in the a$$ to remove/install the carbs on this tight fitted machine. i think next time i'll check to see how hard it is to remove the airbox first.

Senior Member Stock

Make sure you put the slide back in correctly. I made the mistake of putting one in the wrong position during a clean. I had the brake on but still smoked the belt and threw my dolly from under the track b-4 I could kill it.

Member Mini

a good habit is to allways squeeze the throttle and release it to be sure it's functioning properly before starting any machine.

especially after performing work on your sled.

I have a 1992 Exciter LE with a Bender single pipe and I am about 95% positive I have 325 mains in mine and it rips pretty good.

Make that 320 main jets in my Exciter II.

Junior Member Mini

i found one of the carb slides not installed right, fixed that and it IDLES better. but i still have the origial problem. 3/4 to full throttle the engine misses, almost backfires and doesn't open up like it should. any ideas?

Check the choke circuit. Sometimes the plungers get stuck or fail.

I'm thinking about trying 310 or 300 main jets in my Exciter as it as developed a bogging problem now that the weather has warmed up. I too have a Bender single pipe on my Exciter II. My sled always did have a bit of a "gurgle" at higher speeds, almost like too much gas.