Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the 97 VMAX 700 Triple a Good Sled??

My Sled
    Search > 700 Triple

Question Is the 97 VMAX 700 Triple a Good Sled??

I'm in search mode for either an SRX or Viper 700 but have seen quite a few 97 Vmax 700's & was wondering how good are they? They usually are quite a bit less $$ so it might be a good fit in my situation. Are there any known issues or factory recalls on them? Is the suspension similar to the SRX with the exception of the Ohlin's shocks? Is it as bullet proof as the SRX in stock form? Are they reliable? So many questions.....

My Sled
    01 SRX 700-trail mod

Probobly the most bullet proof of the Yamaha triples, the single pipe, non exhaust valved V-Max SX/SX-R 700 or 600.
    2001 SRX 700 & & all now

My Sled
    Search > 700 Triple

Thanks for the info......been seaching on here for info on these sleds but there's only 4 threads, not counting the stickys here? How's the power on them?....I know it's got less by not being exhaust valved, but that's not a biggie to me.

Member Mini
    My Sled
    1997 vmax 700sx

These are great sleds. I have a 97 vmax 700sx and I love it. The power is great, handles great, very fast, and is reliable. The best things to do to these are a better track, plastic skis, and transfer rods. Mine has over 10000 km on it and the motor has never been opened up. Last I checked it had 120psi in all 3 cylinders. I have heard of these getting over 25 000km on the origonal motor. It will do 110 easy on the lake. It is really a great sled you will love it.

My Sled
    Search > 700 Triple

Quote Originally Posted by 700 triple
    These are great sleds. I have a 97 vmax 700sx and I love it. The power is great, handles great, very fast, and is reliable. The best things to do to these are a better track, plastic skis, and transfer rods. Mine has over 10000 km on it and the motor has never been opened up. Last I checked it had 120psi in all 3 cylinders. I have heard of these getting over 25 000km on the origonal motor. It will do 110 easy on the lake. It is really a great sled you will love it.
    Now that sounds very bullet proof to me. Did you do any clutching or pipe it? I would probably keep it close to stock with possibly doing some clutching & suspension.

Member Mini
    My Sled
    1997 vmax 700sx

I havent clutched it or piped it. Iv heard if you pipe it it is hard on the crank. I put viper shocks on the front and they made a huge improvement. The best mod for it is the transfer rods. I have bender ts-3 on mine. It cuts the track spin down by far. In the powder I can pull the skis and keep them up for as long as I want.

My Sled
    Search > 700 Triple

Quote Originally Posted by 700 triple
    I havent clutched it or piped it. Iv heard if you pipe it it is hard on the crank. I put viper shocks on the front and they made a huge improvement. The best mod for it is the transfer rods. I have bender ts-3 on mine. It cuts the track spin down by far. In the powder I can pull the skis and keep them up for as long as I want.

Great stuff & definitely keep those in mind....thanks. The Viper shocks bolted directly in without any mods?

Member Mini
    My Sled
    1997 vmax 700sx

they bolted right into the bulkhead, i just had to take off the old shock mount. Gave me lots more travel and a better ride

I bought a 97/ 700sx new. I originally planned to pipe and clutch it. I put 192 picks in the track and had the carbs bored before bringing it home from the dealer.

When I first rode the 700, I felt the "hole shot" was a bit weak. (I had a 95 piped vmax 600 twin before) it just didnt jerk your arms like the 600. BUT, after riding it, I left the motor bone stock. They have a very wide/smooth power band ... kinda sneaky fast. ....And they handle like a slot car! BTW... get the plastic skis!

The SX had almost 6,000 miles with no problems when I sold it. I then bought an 02 Viper ER that was 3 months old. I dont get time to ride like I used to and had a chance to get most of my money back out of the Viper a few months ago, so I sold it.

Yesterday, I bought another sled to replace the Viper ... you guessed it ...another 97 / 700SX with 2800 miles.

My Sled
    1997 SX 700

I bought a 97 SX700 3 about 4 years ago, had 4500 miles on it and needed a track. I did what I said I wasn't going to do and put pipes on it, clutched it 2 years ago and it helped considerably. The guy/friend I bought it from bought a new sled at the time that was alot faster at the time but now he just barely pulls me.
    I did put rings and Wiseco pistons in it also when I piped it but the stock ones looked great, probably a waste of money.

What's this about pipes being hard on the crank?
    Last edited by BrandXGuy; 02-19-2011 at 05:12 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast