Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1995 vmax 600 st long track

My Sled
    95 yamaha vmax 600st

Default 1995 vmax 600 st long track

I just got a 600 vmax st. Have to rebuild the engine and fix the cylinders and head. Going to do wiseco and it has a rage cage on it already I'm wanting to adds more stuff to it for power before I rebuild it what could I do? Also, what could I do to raise the rear end 2-3 inches for a better stance for hills and jumping?

Senior Member ProStock roudyroy1's Avatar
    My Sled
    krazy carpet

port job, cold air intake, shaved heads, clutching goes a long way, pipes. it depends on how much you want to spend and how good of a mechanic you are. the more mods you do the less tolerance your engine has to non ideal running conditions, i.e extreme cold and bad fuel.
    a wise man from canada once told me
    "there are only 2 types of sleds. 2 STROKES and 4 JOKES" !!!

My Sled
    2011 M8 HCR

Jumping! lmao you got the wrong chassis for that and the wiseco piston is not the way to go with that motor I just rebuilt a 95 600 for a friend and it was $800 for parts I only did the mag side, the crank and a cylinder got a rebuild and the oem piston, rings, wrist pin, wrist pin bearing, crank seals and base gasket was $200, hardly worth putting that kind of money into that chassis in my opinion.

My Sled
    95 yamaha vmax 600st

I'm redoing the entire rear suspension and the entire tunnel on it. The whole top end is being done why is a wiseco top end not worth it? I will be putting around 1200 into it so it'll last along way

My Sled
    Flexible-Flyer

lots of opinions on wiseco's. Personally I have no beefs with them. You just have to be sure to let the sled fully warm up with them every time you ride, no shortcuts there.
    I just post here to hear myself type

My Sled
    95 yamaha vmax 600st

I don't mind warmiing it up first I run wiseco in my bike and I don't have trouble. I heard the stock pistons for this sled have problems with the rings spinning and going through them. Also my clutch side piston melted the entire top onto the head and its stock

My Sled
    95 yamaha vmax 600st

I would like to do drop brackets on my sled probably. Would the regular vmax work on my long track? If not ill make custom ones

My Sled
    2011 M8 HCR

I was told by a couple different guys that the 600 motor was hard on pistons and oem was the only way to go.

VIP Member
    My Sled
    over 9 asst yamahas

quickest and cheapest is to build your own drops. you will need some 1/4" plate aluminum, 3/16" will work also. 5" x 9" if you want to retain the stock holes, 3 1/2"- 4" is a better look in my opinion, shaped correctly and skipping the stock holes and making your own. button head allens with wizlock nuts along with loctite are my fasteners of choice.

never had any unusual piston issues on my 94-96 vmaxes and always used oem for replacements. 97's had the piston/ring issue. put many miles on those old girls. only a few lean burns, self inflicted. to my knowledge they are still alive to this day. harder on clutches.

pipes, if you can find them, wake those sleds up. a timing bump along with high quality fuel is a cheap mod.

dont lift the rear too much as it upsets the handling of the non adjustable front end, unless you relocate the skid.

Quote Originally Posted by staggs65
    lots of opinions on wiseco's. Personally I have no beefs with them. You just have to be sure to let the sled fully warm up with them every time you ride, no shortcuts there.
    X2 !
    Trailing Arm Suspension ie. B.S.S. Bump Steer Suspension or B.A.S. Bending Arm Suspension,
    *See http://www.vintagevmax.com/ for information on the 81 SRX and Vmax540's Thank you !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast