Repaired power valves

Yamahasrx700

I just repaired my power valves (all 3). Just thought you may be interested. The first one took 25 minutes. The other two about 10 minutes. I did it on a 1952 Craftsman (Atlas) lathe with a 4 and a 3 jaw chuck. I can post the pictures of the process if anyone wants them.

Attachments

• power valve 2  001.jpg
    power valve 2 001.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 198
  • power valve 010.jpg
    power valve 010.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 161
  • power valve 012.jpg
    power valve 012.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 170

did you weld it or use a bolt? ive done some welded but they didnt last. the ones ive had done with a bolt in the end are indestructable..
if you did them with a bolt, make sure to smooth the edges good or it can cut into the cable.
i always thought maybe threading the hole as well and using two set screws to jamb the cable end in place might make the cables last longer too. just never spent the extra on the machinist to do it.

I used a 5/16 stainless bolt and radiused the slot also to minimize chaffing of the cable. I think if to jamb the cable you would put more stress on the cable because instead of rotating a few degrees you would now be bending the cable. Just my 2 cents. I would rather go through a cable then buy power valves, thats why I did it his way. If the cable pulls through the stainless I think I have bigger problems.

Here are a few pics of the process. Indicate,machine off the top hat, center drill, drill.

Attachments

• power valve 005.jpg
    power valve 005.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 68
  • power valve 004.jpg
    power valve 004.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 75
  • power valve 003.jpg
    power valve 003.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 73
  • power valve 002.jpg
    power valve 002.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 68
  • power valve 001.jpg
    power valve 001.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 67
A few more pics. Tapping, Indexing the bolt, machining the bolt to .472. I did not include the pics of drilling and slotting. Slot was done with a hacksaw.

Attachments

• power valve 006.jpg
    power valve 006.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 65
  • power valve 007.jpg
    power valve 007.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 104
  • power valve 008.jpg
    power valve 008.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 71
  • power valve 009.jpg
    power valve 009.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 72
  • power valve 010.jpg
    power valve 010.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 89
If anyone is going to throw away bad power valves, I will do my civil duty and take them off your hands. That way they will stay out of the landfills.

How much would you charge a piece to do a handful of them for the rest of us (we supply the valves)?

YamahaSRX,

This is exactly the process I had in mind, glad to know it works. Your repaired power valves are a much better design than the originals. I am going to be sure I cleam my valves after every major ride (500 miles of more). This way they operate smoothly and put les stress on the cables. Excellent work and thanks for sharing the info.!!

Had a machinest put in stainless steel bolt as per bethevipers suggestions. The machinest down the road charged me 25 buck for all three. Said he could justify charging me anymore. Easy job for him i guess, just got to be set up better than the generall tinkerer.

Back