SRX motor in Viper

yamakazie

What is the difference between the Viper engine and the SRX engine?
Will an SRX engine fit in a Viper?
What mods have to be done?

yamakazie said:
What is the difference between the Viper engine and the SRX engine?
Will an SRX engine fit in a Viper?
What mods have to be done?

1- Yes, But quite simliar.
2- Yes, it's been done many times.
3- Electrical swap ect...... And that's all I know of, others will know more.

the hp differance is only gonna be relavant if your talking the exhaust system that came on each sled, obviously the srx with its factory triple pipes produces more hp then the viper with a single pipe. If you add triple pipes to the viper youll be right around 150hp, a stock srx is 140hp.
That being said, the viper has better cylinder port timing on the cylinders and more timing advance in the cdi, thats why it makes a bit more power with pipes.

The engine will interchange, same motor mounts,same electrical plug ins as long as its a 2000-02 srx with 300 watt stator. If your thinking of doing this to gain power either way,it wouldbe easier in the long run to just mod the sled with original engine so you dont have to fab pipe manifolds, change cdi box's, cooling system hoses etc. If you do a search on here its been done many times and lots of reading on it.

Putting triple pipes on a viper is a little different than comparing it to a factory triple piped SRX700. Factory pipes won't make as much power as a well made set of triple pipes. But there are a lot more differences with ports and other differences in the SRX and Vipermotors. Now if yamaha made a triple piped viper from the factory,then you could compare the two motors a lot easier.

I would have to disagree with that,you wont find another set of aftermarket pipes that make more power then the stock srx pipes do, yamaha did thier homework on them. Its only when you get into heavily modded improved/pro stock motors there is 1 set out of all the pipes for a srx that make any power over stock.

all things being equal

a stock srx will make less power than a stock viper motor with srx pipes, port timing is better on the viper cylinders and exhaust ports are more efficient as stated above.

as for other companies making pipes for srxes as good as the stock ones, i have only heard of 1 company, power inc. that made a pipe that made the same hp and a few more hp if they were wraped with heat shield and were kept hot. unless your talking high rpm pipes then there is a gain but not on a stock motor.

aftermarket pipes on a viper suck, they make great power at a huge loss of fuel mileage. srx pipes and cdi box on a viper make similar power with alot less fuel, and noise. you will turn the motor at 8600 not 9000-9200 which is easier on the motor. you will not get a ticket for loud aftermarket exhaust. vipers are quieter than srxes with the same pipes because of resonance cones in the air box. motor will be more reliable because when you let out of it from wot the timing wont increase as it does on piped vipers using stock box (this is usually where they burn down)

is it easy, no, you need to do some cutting and welding on the pipes and muffler, add some brakets, shim the hood, rewire an extra temp sender into the cdi harness , recut stock head or isntall cut srx stlye heads with a megapower water rail or similar. the hardest thing to do will be to make the manifold extensions. these will make the exhaust tract go from viper oval to srx round and allow the stock manifolds to bolt on as well as keep the same exhaust pipe length. you can also make flanges that go direct from the jug to the pipe flange and forgo the extra flange in between.

is it worth it, i thought so, last year i ran the sled, i ran it with srx cylinders (long story) and it would run 116 with an m10, 1 1/4ripsaw and 1power valve pulled through(always chech the powervalves befor a race). during that year, i consistantly got 14mpg and once got over 15mpg.
i never got 15mpg with my viper stock.

i blame everyones reluctance on doing this on myself because of all the trouble i had for one winter because i had the viper cdi installed and didnt know it at the time. after i installed the srx box, no problems. by then there were pages of my troubles, many phone calls to don, thanks don for all the mind bending and head info you gave me on that project.

mrviper700 said:
I would have to disagree with that,you wont find another set of aftermarket pipes that make more power then the stock srx pipes do, yamaha did thier homework on them. Its only when you get into heavily modded improved/pro stock motors there is 1 set out of all the pipes for a srx that make any power over stock.

Power inc's have been dynoed to prove the HP gain on a stock SRX.

98700 said:
Power inc's have been dynoed to prove the HP gain on a stock SRX.

hot pipes only, try keeping them hot on the trail or down a lake with no covering. i will give you they are the only pipe that didnt lose power to the srx pipes. same goes with thier suitcase muffler, only muffler that didnt lose power on the dyno.

98700- Those pipes only gain maybe a couple hp, with the loss of stabil hp output thru out the range. You cant tell the differance in a sled with a 5 hp increase let alone a 3-4hp increase,its no differnt then not eating a cheeseburger before you ride. I have been thru the dyno stuff before, and you dont get that power increase consistantly because they dont retain the heat in the pipe to keep the correct center pipe temp. I am sure theres no need to explain pipe center core temp and the effects of performance from a pipe to someone like you. Its possible you also can show a slight hp increase on a stock set of srx pipes by using a set of the silencers but it only shows up on a dyno run of a whole 5-9seconds, most people ride thier snowmobile for alot longer then that. Thats why a aftermarket silencer isnt worth the money either, they can show a slight couple hp increase at low to mid rpm and no gain in top end hp. You will actually find a loss of topend on a longer run across the lake. Its all about heat and the efficent use of heat.

The stock pipes are the best, perform over and over and over again, Bar none on a srx unless its a modded motor.Then only the bender big bore pipes with a few mods made to them make any significant power increase.

BETHEVIPER said:
hot pipes only, try keeping them hot on the trail or down a lake with no covering. i will give you they are the only pipe that didnt lose power to the srx pipes. same goes with thier suitcase muffler, only muffler that didnt lose power on the dyno.

True, But ceramic coated they'll stay warmer than not coated.

mrviper700 said:
98700- Those pipes only gain maybe a couple hp, with the loss of stabil hp output thru out the range. You cant tell the differance in a sled with a 5 hp increase let alone a 3-4hp increase,its no differnt then not eating a cheeseburger before you ride. I have been thru the dyno stuff before, and you dont get that power increase consistantly because they dont retain the heat in the pipe to keep the correct center pipe temp. I am sure theres no need to explain pipe center core temp and the effects of performance from a pipe to someone like you. Its possible you also can show a slight hp increase on a stock set of srx pipes by using a set of the silencers but it only shows up on a dyno run of a whole 5-9seconds, most people ride thier snowmobile for alot longer then that. Thats why a aftermarket silencer isnt worth the money either, they can show a slight couple hp increase at low to mid rpm and no gain in top end hp. You will actually find a loss of topend on a longer run across the lake. Its all about heat and the efficent use of heat.

The stock pipes are the best, perform over and over and over again, Bar none on a srx unless its a modded motor.Then only the bender big bore pipes with a few mods made to them make any significant power increase.

What the hell are you trying to say?

98700 said:
True, But ceramic coated they'll stay warmer than not coated.

spoken like someone who sells pipe coating. it only helps to keep it in. the only way to keep a pipe hot is to wrap the pipe with insulation wrap or matting and even better cover them and even better let very little air travel over them. the idea is to keep the pipe as close to a constant heat as you can so you can keep jetting and the rpm/power stable so clutching can take advantage of it.

i talked to hauck years ago about these pipes and they said they sold them mostly as a weight savings item, not for power. mountain guys liked them at the time i guess. he told me unless they were wrapped, they didnt make any more power than stock, and made less at trail speeds.

tell yourself what you want, i have bought stuff befor too that i thought would make my sled faster but didnt.

I think it would be better to put the srx motor in the viper.... i think it would be a fun project and run to ride afterwards... i think it would be a pretty big differnce...

im lookin at putting a 2000 srx 700 in a 2000 viper, with the viper stator, 2001 srx cdi, 2000 srx chain case cover, with the stock srx exhaust, question is did i do my homework or am i missing something?

your about there, you will need the srx muffler mounts as well, an extra temp sensor and wires or you can wire in a resistor to the temp circuit.

Back