betheviper ?

webbe

will srx pipes as they come fit in the confines of the viper? not worried about hood a little scm and a donor hood to make hood blister hopefully, but not looking to cut up bellypan. how have those pipes worked for you? thanks .

SRX to Viper Pipes..Me Too!

I'm also interested in this retrofit. The Power Inc. pipes on my SXR 700 make great power, but require lots of bumpers and re-fitting from riding rough trails. I'm interested in a better solution for my 2002 Viper. A stock SRX sheilded system sounds like a good idea.

Also, anyone know about J Hall's 165HP single setup?

here are some pictures, of the sled in a semi finished state from last year.

the list of things you will need to do this is:

1. 98srx pipes,manifolds,and muffler(aftermarket or stock). Newer pipes have the sliding ends on them and wont give enough room.
if stock muffler is used you will need a srx chain case cover and muffler mount for the frame.
2. 2001 srx cdi box.
3. Wire with connector to install into your harness for the temperature sending unit to connect to the cdi box. Vipers do not use this to adjust timing curve.
4. Resistor (i have the size writen down somewhere) to trick the guage into thinking the sled is warm and temp sender is hooked up to it. your guage will still work but will now work but will go through the cdi box first.
5. srx jugs and powervalves or make flange adapters to go from oval to round ports and make up the distance lost with the viper cyinders. If you use the srx jugs you should port them to viper specs. Why? Why not?
6. For cooling and straight compression you may want to run srx or mega power heads, this is just an option.
7. Carberation, I used the srx needles and nossles as I was having problems and thought that it would help. Not sure as of yet if this is needed. What I know is needed is 40 or 42.5 pilots. Yes these pipes run that small a pilot. I ran the 40 pilots and it ran fine, once in a while the idle would hang up with them in. My slp pipes ran 50 pilots to get rid of this problem and make it run right off idle. I was told pilots are 20% of fuel delivery,?. The mains I was running at the end of the year was 157.5 mains and the sled ran great untill it blew appart after 3mile run at wot with. I later found out that dumb *** me had had the viper box in the sled the whole winter. This would explain the blow up and the look of deto on the plugs and exhaust side of pistons. This year I'll check twice to make sure I have the right box in.

This was not an easy fit and they do fit tight but it can be done. With the stock srx muffler the sled is quieter than a srx. This is because of all the cones in the airbox(i believe).

This exhaust system with stock muffler is 12lbs heavier than the stock viper exhaust and probly 20lbs heavier than any other aftermarket exhaust.

If anyone wants to do this a friend of mine has a set of 98 pipes and an 01 cdi for sale. he was going to do his sled but changed his mind.
I can give you his email if interested.

These pics are old and since I have bought a mega rail and intalled the factory coolant recovery tank. The fit is much better.

Attachments

• viper srx 1.jpg
    viper srx 1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 104
  • viper srx flange.jpg
    viper srx flange.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 89
  • viper srx side veiw of pipe.jpg
    viper srx side veiw of pipe.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 93
  • viper srx top full vew.jpg
    viper srx top full vew.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 128
  • viper srx front view hood up.jpg
    viper srx front view hood up.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
here are some pictures of the dual plug ins for the temp sensor, one is wired to the cdi, one to the guage(stock viper location). I made a plug to bypass the viper sender with a sending unit cut in half with a resistor wired in, covered with silicone.

there is a picture of the under side of the shield I made to fill in the bellypan hole.

one picture of the comparison of the viper cylinders to the srx cylinder front view, and a side view with a viper cylinder set on top of a srx cylinder to give an idea of the difference in length of port.

also there is a picture of the different base gaskets the viper one having the large pto side hole. I used the srx base gasket as i used srx heads and pipes.

a note that alot of people have told me that the vipers cooling system pumps in reverse, this is untrue. the viper and srx push water up through the cylinders the same.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 113
here is a picture of the cdi box and the place where the extra wire needs to be for the temp input.

Attachments

• temp guage wire location on cdi box.jpg
    temp guage wire location on cdi box.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 103
good example how ingenuity and a couple mistakes overlooked can cost you thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours durring r+d

BETHEVIPER said:
good example how ingenuity and a couple mistakes overlooked can cost you thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours durring r+d

hehehe, that's the way it goes when you stray that far from the beaten path.

Back