Cable Reverse

YA*AM*A*HEAD

hey guys i have had a cable reverse setup on my srx for a few years ....and over the summer i bought another reverse kit off a viper .....not wanting to do all the work to convert it like my other kit .and there is no way i am having the reverse lever sticking out the hood .i was messed around in the garage and for a few hours last night ...and have come up with a very simple way to convert to the cable ...using olny a few small washers ...i know there are alot of guys out there that want the reverse but dont want to cut there hood .and dont want to go threw all the trouble to convert it ...ill get some pics later to show it ...but if you want to know how just let me know and ill tell you all i know .....

Does adding reverse detract from performance or gearing options? It certainly adds some weight. I gotta say that the Ski-doo method of running the engine backwards was ingeneous.

depending on what you get the reverse kit off of ...depends on your gearing options ....if you are using on a srx you want the kit off a viper ...if its of of a vmax the gearing is not the same ...belive you lose top end power if you do ....
OnDaTrail said:
Does adding reverse detract from performance or gearing options? It certainly adds some weight. I gotta say that the Ski-doo method of running the engine backwards was ingeneous.

ok here is the picture kinda hard to tell ...but i un hooked e brake from the case end and removed some orgional linkage ....and just need a few small washers and i tweeked ine bracket with vise grips so it is more of a straight pull ....take a look any questions contact me ...olny on here in the night so in the day send email throught ty and it will be sent to my black berry and i can get vack with you rite away ....save picture ...and than open with paint and goto view and resize to 500......the green is were cable will come from off e brake ...red is were it needs to be hooked up at this is were u will need some small washers ....blue is were you got to watch cause a pin kinda ribs on collant bottle so you have to remove bottle and mount on the back side of chain case bolt instead of in front

Attachments

• reverse.jpg
    reverse.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 348
  • reverse 2.jpg
    reverse 2.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
having trouble getting things to engage. Feels as though the cable doesn't have enough strength to pull the reverse gear???

might be inbetween teethh on gear ....enguage it and give it a very little gas and it will usually kick rite in .....

Got it. Couldn't see your photos too well, but figured it out. A Big thanks!! One thing I notice was that I had to remove the lock nut on the ebrake adjustment and thread the entire thing tight to the end. Vice griped and bent the shifter connection to give it a straight feed. Very snug right now. Tested it and it goes backwards so all is good. thanks again.

I haven't tied the coolant bottle down to anything yet. She's pretty solid without locking it down. Probably use some twisties for safty.

yup yup i knew you would figure it out aint that awsome ....ya i forgot to mention removeing the jam nut ...and tweeking that bracket for a straight pull .....make sure you got each connection backed good with little washers if noe you will lose some distance in cable,,,,have to copyright my idea ..,,,every now and than it will stick in reverse .....if it does ....turn reverse bacl on and flip lever back off fastly ...and that usually does it .....

not too much about collant bottle ...but there is a pin that rubs bottle ....dont wsnt to rub a hole in it

Don't have rev on mine yet. I was wondering if you can just space the bottle out from the pin instead of relocating it.

YA*AM*A*HEAD said:
not too much about collant bottle ...but there is a pin that rubs bottle ....dont wsnt to rub a hole in it

Well, I only made it about half a dozen uses and things have started to go to crap. fired her up this morning, flipped the lever, started to move back, then all of a sudden a god awful grinding! I shut her down, try it again, move about 5 feet and bam! grinding that makes your teeth rattle. WTF? I'm not looking forward to having to tear this thing down again to resolve!

Any suggestions?

Not sure about proper adjustment. This is the E-brake lever install. Could the cable maybe be stretched and not fully engaging it? Not sure what to do to adjust things.

ttt got alot of people want to see this ......i have had it grind one or twice ....i find if you flip lever slow it dont pull it all the way some times ...so i flip it fast and just rev it a lil to make sure it grabbed ......i also have had it not disenguage once ...that scared me for a second but i found it was the cable freezing a bit ....this method is not perfect like my second setup is but that one is a different monster all together ........also if you save the pictures to your computer and open them with paint and you can resize pictures to make them bigger so you can see them better

Back