vk540 gear problems

stocky47

my 1993 vk540 wont go into all 3 gears, i have adjusted the rod all the way in both directions and i either have high and reverse but no low, or low and reverse and no high, and it slips out once in a while also i checked the journal and there is no signs of wear on it, im thinking about replacing the shift mech with the spring on it to see what that does.... any help out there would be great....

let me do some research as the chaincase is the same for all years. need to read my service manual.

sounding like the shift forks are too worn on the tips and it needs to come apart to replace them.

I have this exact issue. What brought me to the Forum. I replaced all the parts outside of the chaincase: the swivel ends on the end of the adjustable linkage, as well as the cam and springs that the lower swivel attaches too. Still have the issue. If I adjust the rod to a shortened position, I get low gear and reverse but not high.
If I lengthen it, I get high gear and reverse, but not low.

Could it be an issue with idle speed? I am doubting that is the problem, as it does shift pretty good.
Worn belt?

possibly the belt or idle speed. never adjusted my 88 since it was assembled and i know the 11 i just got has never been adjusted.

mine is an 03.
I played with idle speed last night. Dropped it down some, no change. That's probably as low as I want it to go. Definitely seems like there is something going on inside the gear box. The linkage has to be shortened all the way to get Low/Reverse but then there isn't enough room going forward to get it into High.
Then I will lengthen it so I can get High/Reverse, but same thing, I don't have enough room to pull back enough to get Low gear.

I have not used mine for a couple of years , lack of snow to set ski track...
I forget which way they even go ... BUT if I hold the release latch in while shifting it
will just go from all the way forward to all the way back...IF I release the latch and just
pull back ...goes in the middle selection every time...
Just looked in my tech book and it's too technical to show the decal.
Pretty sure that method may catch the low gear..(middle)
Bit like older column auto shifting .. pull towards you from N and they will go past drive
but will go into drive if lower the lever w/o pulling lever towards you..
Ron
Hope this helps you

Back