1991 Phazer front suspension bushings...

Phazed!

I just aquired a 91 Phazer with 25,000 kms so it's been well used, going to be a full restoration when I could put in some time. I first want to get all the mechanical done, then work on cosmetic issues. I ordered all new bushings for the front suspension and I'm also contemplating getting a press to get the old ones out but there's a good chance I wont be able to get the bottom knuckle off the shock shaft.

Any suggestions? I have it soaking in loosening oil, but all I've done is bust the bolt heads off. Thanks.

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed.jpg

Maybe drill out the stuck bolt and threads on the tapped end of the knuckle and then later replace it with a bit longer bolt that you fasten with a nut? I have done this on my Phazer because the otherwise threaded knuckles are problematic to work with.

I actually also broke one of these bolts off and my method then was to remove the knuckle by slowly cutting the bolt off by hand with a loose iron saw blade that fit between the knuckle and the suspension strut.

Last edited:
last time i dealt with one that did that, i ended up cutting one side off and heating the spindle to drive the bushings out.

here is the thread where i tackled one and won.

Back