viper 700 won't idle

I would definitely get the exhaust manifold welded or replaced and it is normal for the secondary clutch to be able to move in and out on jack shaft...the idea is that the clutch will self align with the primary clutch and belt. If the secondary clutch is jammed to one side and out of alignment then it could be a problem. The secondary clutch should freely move in and out on the shaft and not jam.
X2 on all of this. The fact it’s still not idling properly says pilot jets / circuit to me? The idle hang is common. Never been fixed other then running fuel screws out 2, 2 1/8 out and keep idle low around 1200 rpm.

I would definitely get the exhaust manifold welded or replaced and it is normal for the secondary clutch to be able to move in and out on jack shaft...the idea is that the clutch will self align with the primary clutch and belt. If the secondary clutch is jammed to one side and out of alignment then it could be a problem. The secondary clutch should freely move in and out on the shaft and not jam.
ok thanks for clarifying on the secondary, seemed weird to me lol. clutch issues seem to have gone away. I've just come back from working on it again, bought myself a in-line spark tester and hooked it up. engine ran great on cold start as usual and spark was strong and consistent. rode it around and got some heat in it and it had the same issues again. spark tester showed inconsistent spark in all 3 cylinders at idle. rev it up and sparked good. could it be cdi? stator? not sure how these sleds get spark. does this seem plausible? again, thank you for the help.

There were some issues with stators on these sleds when Yamaha first brought the Vipers out and they actually did an update on the stator part number for the Viper and SRXs. A lot of times stators will test normal until they are heated so it is a possibility with your sled. If you end up replacing the stator I would recommend going with the OEM stator and stay away from used if you can. Its rare for CDIs and flywheels to fail on these sleds but the inside of the flywheel can get coated with rust and create issues.

Did u check reeds?
I second the reeds. Changed mine after experiencing hang idle/ idle stall and it did help. Had some chips at the top of them and they didn't "seal" well. worth the check if you have the carbs off already. and fairly cheap to replace too.

Back