89 Phazer engine in a 1998 SS - ignition wire question

Bozzerch46

The 89 phazer engine I'm installing on my 98 Phazer SS has a single wire(r/w) stator pickup coil. The engine I removed from the 98 sled has a stator pickup with two wires (w/r & w/g). When I install the motor- i assume i attach the w/r wire on the engine to the w/r wire on the sled. Where does the white and green wire on the sled go? It's the only extra wire I have after connecting everything. Thanks.

you should be using the 98 stator as it matches the load in your sled chassis. the older sleds did not come the factory with heated grips/thumb and the stators where modified by yamaha to compensate for this added load.

Thanks for the one reply. I'm actually surprised that this issue hasn't come up. I posted my question in several places and no one had an answer. Anyway- i figured it out and will post my findings soon. I have a solid running phazer SS once again. I even found some "expert" spouting incorrect info about stator mounting points.

Thanks for the one reply. I'm actually surprised that this issue hasn't come up. I posted my question in several places and no one had an answer. Anyway- i figured it out and will post my findings soon. I have a solid running phazer SS once again. I even found some "expert" spouting incorrect info about stator mounting points.
You need to swap stators and you need to run the 98 fan/belt/flywheel cover that came with the 98. They moved the coil pickup in the 1998. I just did this swap a week ago.

Back