*Need Help* Clutching Vmax 600 sx 1997

Yamahasexhundredsx

Hey, new here. I have a 600 vmax sx 97 with a comet clutch 219703A which is the 108 exp C I believe. It had a red spring in it when I bought it, it was broken. Put another red spring in it my friend had laying around, worked great for awhile, was burning to hot and you put 42.5 pilot jets in it. Mains are stock and needles are both top level. Anyways, I blew a belt one of these days and broke that same red spring again. I bought 2 new factory belts and it squeals to the high heavens and for some reason is too tight? I ordered Comets silver spring (204818) thinking that was the proper spring for my sled. It won't rev out something isn't right with it and I am looking for some advice, help anything and what I should do with the clutching! I can't figure out what spring I need for my self to run right again. It has A54 weights in it and black spring on secondary. Not sure exact secondary setting but I believe on the outside was set to 9. It worked great with the red spring we had we just don't know what sled it was out of. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Hey, new here. I have a 600 vmax sx 97 with a comet clutch 219703A which is the 108 exp C I believe. It had a red spring in it when I bought it, it was broken. Put another red spring in it my friend had laying around, worked great for awhile, was burning to hot and you put 42.5 pilot jets in it. Mains are stock and needles are both top level. Anyways, I blew a belt one of these days and broke that same red spring again. I bought 2 new factory belts and it squeals to the high heavens and for some reason is too tight? I ordered Comets silver spring (204818) thinking that was the proper spring for my sled. It won't rev out something isn't right with it and I am looking for some advice, help anything and what I should do with the clutching! I can't figure out what spring I need for my self to run right again. It has A54 weights in it and black spring on secondary. Not sure exact secondary setting but I believe on the outside was set to 9. It worked great with the red spring we had we just don't know what sled it was out of. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
204818*

I think I have figured out your problem.
You have a comet clutch. Lol
This can be very simple, just get a used factory clutch, and put everything to stock specs, and it will be perfect.
I can’t help you with a comet clutch, as I have never seen the point of using one.

I think I have figured out your problem.
You have a comet clutch. Lol
This can be very simple, just get a used factory clutch, and put everything to stock specs, and it will be perfect.
I can’t help you with a comet clutch, as I have never seen the point of using one.
Well the only thing is, it worked unreal with the red spring I had. I was pretty well head to head with my buddys 680 triple polaris ultra! If I go back to stock clutch, then I'll have to adjusy the secondary and basically undo whatever clutching setup they had on it that was so mean before. But I would also like to go back to original clutch because the bushing is getting bad in the comet. Also have to get Comets special 5/8 -18 puller... annoying. I'll get some pictures up this afternoon

Post some pics of the clutches and the important parts.
A 54 gram weight should be close.
I'll get some pictures posted up asap when i get to my seld this afternoon. Here's a few I already have

Attachments

• Snapchat-1796889147.jpg
    Snapchat-1796889147.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • Snapchat-862195582.jpg
    Snapchat-862195582.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • Snapchat-1174113673.jpg
    Snapchat-1174113673.jpg
    898.7 KB · Views: 4
Send pics of the secondary also.
Have you inspected the engine mounts closely? Sleds of this age can often need maintenance in those areas. Also, sometimes the bolts for the front left engine mount would back out or break off where they attatch to crankcase.

I'll definitely check that out, good to know, thanks. Here's some pictures! I think the spring is way to stiff . I want to go stock clutch because this one could be off an arctic cat for all I know. If I can even get it off.

Pics to follow

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240128_184609_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240128_184609_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240128_184602_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240128_184602_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240128_184558_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240128_184558_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240128_184605_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240128_184605_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
There are three bolts on the backside of the secondary that take an 8mm socket. The belt is squealing at idle because the tips of said bolts are worn down. Either get new bolts or take the 1mm washer off the back and re-install them. They affect belt height at a stand still.
The sled should rev 8000 rpm on full throttle pulls.

There are three bolts on the backside of the secondary that take an 8mm socket. The belt is squealing at idle because the tips of said bolts are worn down. Either get new bolts or take the 1mm washer off the back and re-install them. They affect belt height at a stand still.
The sled should rev 8000 rpm on full throttle pulls.
Thanks for the info on the rpm, I was wondering that. The washers have been removed. I'll get new bolts

Back