Need help with 600 twin clutching

maxout01

VIP Member
I have a vmax 600 twin. The clutches that were on it were causing the sled to have no low end at all and tope out out like 65 and have a long hard time creeping up from there.
Buddy of mine has a 98 srx with a blown motor. We took both his clutches off and put them on my 600 twin, expecting it to not have the power to work well but guess what.. the vmax rips like it never has before!!
Now I have to get his clutches back to him and dont know what to do with mine to get it a good level.
I'm afraid to spend 300 on setting the clutches up like the srx, what do you guys with 600 twins have found works best with yours?

I have stock stuff in my 97 600 venture, and it goes well. I can hit 95 on the speedo even with a little powder on top, and not hardpack.

if your rpm,s are 7800 at full throttle & clutches are cool ur good to go.

Well something is wrong somehwere with them because it was like nite and day last year. For three years it hauled good and all of the sudden it wouldn't go over 65mph and had no low end at all last year. Then we put the srx clutches on it recently, just for kicks, and it hauls better then I ever had it before in the last four years, its insanely fast. It beat my rev by two sled lengths, before it couldn't even keep up at all. Put the stock back in and it falls on its face again.

The clutching is like this right now and has been for four years I ve had it: white/pink springs, 8CR weights and a hartmann incorporated helix. Everything I read says to update the sx 43 helix to a straight 47 and update the weights to 8CR. So I'm thinking that hartmann helix is causing more then it is gaining. The hartmann has been on the sled since I bought the sled so I have no stock helixs to check.
You think maybe worn wieghs could cause this?

I still don't get how the little 600 twin can use the srx 700 clutches and work so well.

A 600 twin can use the 700 clutches because it,s a twin. A 2 cylinder will pull more aggressive clutching then a triple of the same or larger size due to the fact of the power pulses. You clutch a twin & triple totally differently.

I put a Polaris P-85 Primary on my 94 Vmax 600 and it works great. Engagement is just under 4,000 maxes at 8,000 then drops down to 7,850

sounds to me like your rollers are shot, and maybe your ring bushing...time for a complete rebuild of your clutch

max...

I have turks clutching in my '98 and she works pretty good..

8ab weights;
50/44 helix, green secondary spring at 60
clutched to run at 7800 rpm
i think 2.4 gram rivets in both holes

yammy said:
sounds to me like your rollers are shot, and maybe your ring bushing...time for a complete rebuild of your clutch

Yamaha mechanic who owns local dealer took them apart right in from of me, nothing is shot, all is very good actually.

daman said:
I have turks clutching in my '98 and she works pretty good..

8ab weights;
50/44 helix, green secondary spring at 60
clutched to run at 7800 rpm
i think 2.4 gram rivets in both holes

I'm almost ready to just set my clutches up like the srx clutches are and try it again. That thing ripped better then it ever has.
I'm going to try a set-up pmed to me, and try turks, and put the srx clutches back on and see what works best.

Keep the advice coming though, lol!!

I have a very short HEAVY spring in the primary and big polaris weights in mine and I can't keep the skis on the ground.

When I order new weights, does anyoneknow if they come with rivets in them at all or not? If not how do I install the rivets?

hey daman, you said you have turks clutch setup in your xtc w/8ab weights? doesn't turks setup call for 8ca weights? i have w-s-w- stock pri spring, 8ca weights, 2.4g each hole, 48/42 maxx helix, w/green spring @ 60deg and lightening pro roller, and it runs 8000 and climbs to 8300. how well does your xtc pull/run and what rpms's are you seeing?

mopar1rules said:
hey daman, you said you have turks clutch setup in your xtc w/8ab weights? doesn't turks setup call for 8ca weights? i have w-s-w- stock pri spring, 8ca weights, 2.4g each hole, 48/42 maxx helix, w/green spring @ 60deg and lightening pro roller, and it runs 8000 and climbs to 8300. how well does your xtc pull/run and what rpms's are you seeing?

no his set up calls for 8ab's,got it wrote down,as my above post i over rev
just slightly(79-8000) on top but i got a used belt on now,when new i was
right in there 78-7900,pinned 74 then to 78ish 79..

sled is all stock..

daman said:
no his set up calls for 8ab's,got it wrote down,as my above post i over rev
just slightly(79-8000) on top but i got a used belt on now,when new i was
right in there 78-7900,pinned 74 then to 78ish 79..

sled is all stock..

Just curious daman, what does that bring you to for a top speed??

maxout01 said:
Just curious daman, what does that bring you to for a top speed??
80 in no time for sure then up some more on the dream meter,havent really held it that long....

Mine acts the same as Daman's does. I had 8ab's (still have them sitting in a box here somewhere) but went back to the stock 8cr's with the recommended rivets in them and the MaxPerformance helix that came in the 600 twin kit. I just could not turn the 8ab's if I was already at 7000 RPM and wanted to go faster.

I am real quick past 60. 60-80 is very nice then it starts settling down as it come up to 90. That is usually where I run out of trail. It's hard running flat out when your in the lead. I think I had it just past 90 last month. That's fast enough for a trail sled.

FuzzButt said:
I just could not turn the 8ab's if I was already at 7000 RPM and wanted to go faster.
so fuzz you couldn't pull any more then 7000 outa the 8ab's? just so i'm clear.

same rivits 2.4???

that's wierd fuzz, cuz mine will pull 8100 and climb to 8300. i need a 50/44 helix and/or more weight...like 3.6g or 4.5g rivets, instead of the 2.4g ones.

Back