Know anything about Yamaha 338's?

Mountain SXr

Hello,

I'm just looking for an older sled to buy and fix up. Just a side toy. Would love an old srx but try to find one.....

I want something somewhat sporty.

Some guy up here's got a couple yamaha 338's. I have no idea what they even look like. Anyone know if they're good sleds.

Any other type that I should be looking for?

Anyone have any pics of older Yamaha sleds?

Thanks,

-Jon

Yamaha introduced the SL338 model in 70', ...I'd love to own an original SL351 model (becoming rare). I just picked up a 73' GP292, ...if you can get a hold of a early 70's GP series they have pretty good power to weight ratio (the GP292 rivaled some of the competitor 440's of the day). I'm having a hoot playing with boggies and old time clutches (not too dissimilar from todays clutches), ...these machine are oil injected as well (didn't exist in other machines at that time).

Here are some specs. from I believe 72' or 73'...

Attachments

• 1972_YAMAHA_ARCTIC_CAT_POPULAR_SNOWMOBILING_6A_PP779.jpg
    1972_YAMAHA_ARCTIC_CAT_POPULAR_SNOWMOBILING_6A_PP779.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 1972_YAMAHA_SL338C_1_PP296.jpg
    1972_YAMAHA_SL338C_1_PP296.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Mountain SXr,

The 338 yamaha's are dependable little motors. I have a 68 SL351 that my bro put a 338 motor in and heck it runs great. He has a 69 SS396 with a 433 motor in that he still runs in his fleet. Have owned 73 & 75 GP433's and a 73 GP338 too. My bro had two 72 SL338's with low miles on them and some jerk stole them right off the trailer in our barn. The 338 is an easy starter so the kids could start it too and smoot on gas. Perfect for the 7 - 10 yr old in the back 40. The top speed on a road will push 60 mph so a watchfull eye on them is a must. After all the 433's blew up the 338's are still running strong. I now have an 89 Ovation that has the same 338 in it. Great little sled but not a ditch banger if ya know what I mean.
Most fun we had was the 73 GP292 motor in the 74 GP246 chassis. Gave a new look to the John Deere boys faces ! You can have some fun swapping parts from one sled to another too. Kinda cool with the two speed chain case from a 73 with hi and low gears. The 338 was used in the enticers also. Have fun !! :rockon:

my dad had one of those. it was a blast to run. little tippy compared to the enticers with the same motor but it would make a polaris 340 work for the lead. 1975 gs338 up against a 1990 indy sport. if i would have had sliders that boy woulda been cryin fer mommy. he was just pullin away from me when we hit that skating rink wide open. i stayed on the sled. he fell off and broke his arm. it was all still stock except for the track adjusters. had to carry 4 of em to go out riding cause you broke at least one per ride. for its era it was scary fast too. the only sled my dad ever lost to racing was a gpx433 and he was close enough to brush the snow off of the flap with his ski tips. the only air cooled twin i ever heard that didnt have the distintive yamaha "ping" at idle. it roared instead. damn now i want one! ;)!

power to wieght on the old sleds rule, I've got an old 70' Snojet with a Yamaha 340 single carb and I can pick the whole sled off the ground, the damn thing smokes my Phazer, sx-600R, and my old mans sx-700R up to 45mph and it tops out around 55mph.

I have a 73 Gp 643 B for sale. It needs very little and in great shape. Just needs someone who knows a little about getting an old sled started. If interested please email me at Lwiker@aol.com and I can send you pictures. Also know where 2 71 338's are for sale.
Thanks,
Doug
York, Pennsylvania

Boy you are not in my backyard or I would be interested in that old iron. I have my heart set on finding a GP 643 that I could race on the lake for fun. :rockon:

Back