quick question about reed notch

KEVIN

VIP Lifetime Member
Might be a silly question
But
Do you notch both reed stopers whne doing the reed notch?

I don't think I had enough sleep
So just notch the stopper that faces up?

thanks
I just found a cracked one..weird
I guess everyone uses a little loctite to make sure the screws stay where they are supose to?

When I did them on my 97 I had 4 of the six that were cracked. Right in the outside edges. Dealer told me that I was the first ones that he had ever sold.

Not to hijack your thread but figured I would ask this here as it's a similar question. Do you only notch the stopper where it's above the center petal? Or do you do all 3 on each upper stopper?

tech section

there is step by step instructions in the tech sec. i did it on my 00sxr600 noticed better throttle response .

since it has been a while, this trick works on the twins as well. The other improvement you can do is to install viper/srx reeds into your tripple case. They have alot more surface area and the reed stopper is mounted back further away from the port to start with so the notch is more affective. To do this you will need to do some grinding on the sides of the case. You can add the viper/srx reeds to the twin cylinder sleds without modifying anything, they drop right in and by themselves help to unblock the boost port even without the notch.

While your in there, dont forget to smooth everything from your carbs to your boots to your stuffers

ok wait a second
am I missing something?
The picture only shows one notch per stopper
is that right or should there be 3 notches per stopper

BETHEVIPER said:
since it has been a while, this trick works on the twins as well. The other improvement you can do is to install viper/srx reeds into your tripple case.

BETHEVIPER, when you say viper/srx reeds, are you refering to the entire reed cage or the reed petals themselves? Thanks!

bufalobob said:
the reed notch is a waste of time & effort. makes no h.p. on the dyno.
bob

Might not add HP but it cleans up the bottom end throttle response and best of all it's free. Don't see that much these days. Also gets the owners looking at parts of there sled that they might never touch otherwise. I found out one of mine were cracked at very low miles and the new ones are updated to stainless I think.

bufalobob said:
the reed notch is a waste of time & effort. makes no h.p. on the dyno.
bob
heres my 2 cents before i did the notch ther was a slight hesitation when hammering throttle after the notch was done i noticed that the bog ( hesitation) had dissapered so it may have not given me hp it has given me performance jmo

A couple of bucks said:
Any particular years cages, and stock reeds I presume? Riding a 97 sx 700.

no, any year srx or viper cage are the same. it don't matter if its a '98 srx 700 cage or a '05 sx viper cage. same thing. i have 3 reed cages from a '98 700 srx, if anyone is interested. the petals would need to be replaced tho.

Back