vk540 ?

Maim

Super Moderator
anyone else have a problem getting the primary maintenence kit for one of these? i was just told by yamaha canada that it is obselete and the speings for the primary are as well.

anyone have a source for some of this stuff as i am supervising a rebuild of an 1988 by highschool students and need some parts to show them how to do it right.

"""""KEEP THOSE SKI'S BETWEEN THE TREES! """""
You must have driven a VK ......I have not needed to do any
clutch work on my 93 VK ,,,only had it a 2 winters ...
It probably has an extended range primary and could have different
guts than other models,,,No broken pieces ?? clean it , lube it
and put it back together...
Ron

There is no need to keep the skis between the trees on a VK, I usually just go straight!! LOL... I use a 1 1/4" square stock for the front bumper! But you do need a football field if you want to turn around! What parts are you looking for Maim? I could check around here, as everybody and their dog has a Vk!

The large track area packs the snow under it and lifts the pogo skis
off the snow,,,Did the older leaf spring machines steer any better ??
and even on hard pack , it's a bigggg circle...
.... Maim,,,,any machine shops up there..?
Grab one of my hydraulic drive units and stuff it on,,,
Use a cog , 1/2" pitch belt similar to robot welders..need to attach
a drive cog to engine but the bigger problem is the driven unit is not
reversible and its output shaft is on LH side into a chaincase.
,,,,Never mind ,,,,can't see this happening :)
Ron

You may still be able to get the clutch parts that you need seperately. It probably does not need all the parts in a kit anyway. The spring is okay if the RPMs are right.

One of the rollers is bad, and the slide plastics in the primary are getting wore. The sled has 4000km's on it is a 88 vk540(with leaf springs) and was retired due to a blown chaincase. Got the chain case used the kids at school have stripped the motor and are reringing and doing all seals as it sat outside for 10-12 years since the chain case was $2000. Suspension has been pulled, getting new slides and all bearings, recovering seat, and all dents removed.

not getting new paint(don't trust the kids with the paint gun yet)

oh and I am the teacher having the kids do it :2strokes: :homework:

At the same time they are changing the track on maim's rx, installing and electric start on a 02 viper and rebuilding a 92 phazer 2. Next year we do body work ;)!

We can send up some of the Toronto kids to paint it with
spray bombs...but it might end up looking like a wall or a
train car....LOL
If it hasn't run for years , check the air flow in the muffler by using
a shop vac...Mine has had the side cut out and rewelded before I got it.
Mice like nesting in there...
Humour,,,my nephew "borrowed" one of my trailfires, took it to school
to work on ...put a shop rag in the throat of the muffler...and forgot to
remove it before starting it.......It wasn't until I discovered the muffler
had no air flow and drilling about 25 holes looking for the problem (the rag)
we discovered why it wouldn't run..
Ron

well we did get the clutch parts and it has been running outside of my f up of not replacing/checking the fuel filter. contaminated entire fuel system with rust and crud from tank. after 3rd time cleaning carb, replaced fuel line from pump to carb and added a filter in it to not have this issue again.

skis have very little input on steering. i added 2" bar riser to help me move my butt around as the weight shifts help steer the sled more than the skis do.

Back