Oil cable adjustment

bADa$$ SRX

'99 srx 600, recently had the carbs out and the cable seems to be stretched, at full throttle should the oil pump be wide open? thats how i have it adjusted right now.....thanks

to adjust the oil cable on the 3 cylinder yamaha sleds: adjust the idle of the sled, then adjust the throttle so there is a 1-2mm gap of the thumb throttle when you take up the slack and push against the tors switch in the thumb throttle. Once this is done, slide back the rubber boot then pull apart the adjuster. when the cable is adjusted correctly there should be a 22mm gap between the cable housing when the cable is pulled tight. That being said, 22mm is for the red head sx motor. Specs for the srx motor could be different, I don't have experience with them to know what the setting is off the top of my head.

It's all relative. Thinner oil flows better than thicker oil. And it pumps more easily. If a 21mm setting hits the correct ratio w/ oil A. And oil A has -54F pour point, that same 21mm setting will have a different ratio as oil B. Which has mabey a -32F pour point.
When I adjusted mine, I ended up going out to 23.5 mm to achieve a correct ratio. I think it was probably somewhere @ 45:1 with that setting.
I short, once you have it set to where your comfortable, stick to the same oil to maintain that ratio. Because all oils have a different pour point, and pumps have an easier time w/ thinner oil than do thicker oil.

Doesn't the pump achieve full volume at 3/8 throttle or thereabouts. If you toy with the setting you would be adjusting the point where the oil ramps up from idle to full flow. It's a positive displacement pump, volume is volume.

Back