what is my oil to fuel ratio

bluemonster1

LIFE MEMBER ONLY ONCE!!!
topped of tank with 28.5 liters of gas and topped of oil tank with 620 mm oil.Can someone tell me my ratio.I can't figure it out.It sort of seems I am running close to 40:1.Should be 50:1 really gave or take.Am I using more oil then I need to or just keep it that way.
My gas mileage is way down with that 144 track,approx..8.6 mpg..yikes

I searched way back on this topic.I calculated maybe around 46:1 ratio which is fine.Funny that I would lose a lot in gas mileage with the long track.Maybe because I am pinning it more in the deep stuff and working everything harder.I used to average 12 mpg and now in around 9 ish...yuk!!!

If when you say 620 mm of oil, you mean mL, then I calculate 46:1.

I am running a 02 VMAX 700 that I just long tracked to 144" and am also using alot of oil and getting poor mileage. First I found out my oil pump cable was adjusted wrong and was running at 26:1. That's resolved now, but I'm still only getting 9 MPG on pure trail riding. I do have to work on the primary clutch (have Heel Clickers on order) because the engagement is a bit high, it is over-revving to 9100, and the belt slips at low speeds. I was really hoping that I would regain some mileage from that.

I unfortunately don't have a baseline on my sled from when it was a 121". I bought it last year and long tracked it right away, but my previous SX700 sleds were around 12MPG.

Have you always had poor mileage after long tracking, or is it a newer development? Are your RPMs in line with what they should be?

If when you say 620 mm of oil, you mean mL, then I calculate 46:1.

I am running a 02 VMAX 700 that I just long tracked to 144" and am also using alot of oil and getting poor mileage. First I found out my oil pump cable was adjusted wrong and was running at 26:1. That's resolved now, but I'm still only getting 9 MPG on pure trail riding. I do have to work on the primary clutch (have Heel Clickers on order) because the engagement is a bit high, it is over-revving to 9100, and the belt slips at low speeds. I was really hoping that I would regain some mileage from that.

I unfortunately don't have a baseline on my sled from when it was a 121". I bought it last year and long tracked it right away, but my previous SX700 sleds were around 12MPG.

Have you always had poor mileage after long tracking, or is it a newer development? Are your RPMs in line with what they should be?

oops//yes meant ml and thanks.My 600 was normally getting around the 12 mpg with decent rides.Now that there is more weight in the skid and track and it takes more power to rotate the track,I guess lost mpg is normal,but didn't think like 3 mpg..anyways it is a lot of fun to ride in the deeper stuff and not get stuck now..clutch rpm's are right on when I pin it in the deep stuff also, 8400-8500 rpm's.Put on another 121 km's today and the gas meter sure dropped down..

that is for US gallons,our gallon is bigger here.So I went with metric values..liters and ml's.

It does have your metric values down lower on the page, pretty handy little tool to have.

Are you comparing apples to apples as closely as you can with your mileage? If you are spending more time in the deeper powder and pinning it more than you did with the short track, your mileage will certainly suffer, but don't dwell on that just think of the fun factor!

Run a tank of fuel thru with running some of the miles on your trails and/or river without having so much of the deeper snow, and see what your mileage is.

Even running trails, you can ride one day on a decent groomed hardpack trail and get 12mpg, and then get a good snowfall of 6"-8" or so and the next day your mileage sucks especially if you're breaking the trail. I could easily see at least a 2mpg drop, although I've never tried to specifically calculate it, just watched the gas needle drop way too fast.

Blue did you have to change the drivers when you long tracked??? if so your drive wheels are spinning faster and not going as far a as the old taller drive cogs... maybe you wil need to look at a gearing change to help the mileage... hows the power is it pretty peppy and not sluggish??? just my thoughts.

Blue did you have to change the drivers when you long tracked??? if so your drive wheels are spinning faster and not going as far a as the old taller drive cogs... maybe you wil need to look at a gearing change to help the mileage... hows the power is it pretty peppy and not sluggish??? just my thoughts.
have same drivers(stock).Gearing has 1 tooth upper smaller because of the long track.I pin it constant and look for deep snow now.It is the fun factor for sure going thru snow that my 121 struggled with and dug down and started to push snow with the front end.This 600 motor is pretty peppy for sure,it just screams when on the throttle.Have all stock carb components along with CarbonTech reeds and spacers as well.This Cobra track lugs are taller as well then lugs on my 121..so I can see the motor work harder to rotate track.It is what it is off course.From a dead stop and pinning it I can easily lift the ski's off the snow when this track bits in.Overall liking my 144 conversion and no issues with that at least.

oh yeah I forgot to mention..there was another Cat down on the River yesterday as well.I stopped to see but he had a buddy that took off to get a rope to tow..

Back