Oil pump adjustment

Bischof

For my Little Red SX, 97'

Setting the oil pump adjustment the manual says the gap with the cable pulled out should be 19 to 21mm.

I believe the wider the gap the less the oil is pumped.

Do I have this right?

Hey since I have ya'll's attention.
Is there much difference in the amount of oil flow between the two setting limits.
IE, is there much difference in oil consumption between setting the adjustment at 19 as opposed to 21?

I'm asking because my plugs are reading light brown, safe but close to the hairy edge and I have oil on my plug threads. I have the adjustment at 19mm and thought if I backed the oil off a little I might run the gas a little richer.

The next step would be a size up on the jets. I should say I'm running PI center dumps and not stock jetting.

So the bigger the distance on the cable the less oil it will pump? I just went thru both mine the other day. They are 94 v-max 600s. One the gap was to the higher spec and the other was way higher. It was all the way adjusted out. I put them both back to the high specs. I will have to see how much oil I use next time out. I checked them because I am trying to get my jetting back to normal on one of them and oil adjusted.

If I forget, Pm me, my 97 with pi c dumps I think is 23 mm, and Im 99% sure I am running the pi jetting spec as well. I will only check the jetting if I think there was gas in the carbs and they need to be cleaned.

Hey Grape!
Long time no see.
Whatcha doing here, slummin?

Daman the oil usage isn't bad. My issue are these pipes. From day one I've had problems trying to dial in the jetting. Right now I'm running one size richer than the PI spec and I've raised the needles and I'm still getting a tan plug color. I believe it's safe but thought if I could richen the fuel by backing off the oil a little I might have a little more room for error.

Bischof said:
Daman the oil usage isn't bad. My issue are these pipes. From day one I've had problems trying to dial in the jetting. Right now I'm running one size richer than the PI spec and I've raised the needles and I'm still getting a tan plug color. I believe it's safe but thought if I could richen the fuel by backing off the oil a little I might have a little more room for error.
Ok i see,,unless pump setting is very rich it shouldn't effect plug color/jetting,if usage isn't a concern i'd leave it alone and just work
on dialing jetting..

soounds like jetting is good,post a pic for us to see..

Here are the plugs

Left to right, Mag, Center, PTO and new one to compair color.

Attachments

• Mag (Medium).JPG
    Mag (Medium).JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Center (Medium).JPG
    Center (Medium).JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 5
  • PTO (Medium).JPG
    PTO (Medium).JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 6
  • New (Medium).JPG
    New (Medium).JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 3
Bisch i would say there on the lean side yet,i like seeing more brown color on my plugs,close tho..but not much room for error like you said.

Yup, that's what i think too.
Guess I'll fire up the torpedo and up the jets another size.
We're getting snow today so I want to go riding the back roads later this afternoon.

That's a good question.
I'd say low to med. I pulled them in my garage.
What speed would you suggest for low med plug reading.
I know high is WOT
I just re-jetted and will be going out to take a look.

Back