2000 SRX 700 Steering Column broke! Help!!

CNYSRX

I have a 2000 SRX 700. Went riding last night and lost steering in an open field. Not jumping or anything stupid. I got it home and this morning took it apart. It broke clean through at the top of the steering column right at the holding plate. I found a replacement at a local shop for $60. How involved is changing this column? It looks as though I will need to pull the engine? Is it possible to remove the skid plate and access from the bottom instead of pulling the motor?

Yeah, I am thinking that welding is going to be the way I go. I saw another post that said they welded it after putting a piece of steel inside. My buddy is a welder and is coming over today to take a look...

CNYSRX said:
Yeah, I am thinking that welding is going to be the way I go. I saw another post that said they welded it after putting a piece of steel inside. My buddy is a welder and is coming over today to take a look...

That is what most of us did, no point to remove the motor, to put a new steering column that is going to brake again....Just get a pipe puond it in there and weld it....

Nick

I guess this is more common than I expected.... I'm sure the weld will be a better option, just sucks because today was a great day to ride and I hear a lot of sleds out there...

I put a pipe on the inside & welded the outside where it broke & inside the opening in the mounting plate. Worked out good. Lot of people with bar risers have problems breaking shafts due to the extra leverage. The '01's Have a stronger mount. I also cut some small gusset triangles from flat stock & added them to the undersides of the plate.

Back