testing the indicator lights....

hereismylife

Website
www.hereismylife.com
it would make for a bad day not knowing if your lights did not work.
A quick test would be great before you go for a long ride...

I am trying to see why my indicator lights don't come on when started.

I was searching this and it seems like there are very few people that have this problem...

I did find this....

Problem fixed for the short term . TJ500 helped me pin it down that it was the brown/white wire connection in the CDI that was bad. Not the wire itself but inside the CDI. Disconnected the wire and ran a new wire from the relay to chassis ground. Now the electric start , lights, tach and grip warmers all work. Only draw back is the sled has to be shut down with the key or the battery will still power the head light. Kill switch still works as normal. If I had no electric start then it could be shut off either way. Just need to keep a look out for a good CDI in the future. I got to know the wiring system quite intimately on this girl over the last year. Now the wife should be happy she has e-start .

Thanks TJ500 and other members who helped out with suggestions. Got it working without costing a pile at the dealership.

Will this work on all the sleds?

This is added to the tech section so anyone that can add please do.. ;)!

Last edited:

How to turn lights on?

How do you turn the temp light on?
How do you turn the oil light on?
How to turn on tors light?

Anyone have any answers to these?

Low on gas light not sure if all the sleds do this?

Last edited:
well normally a one wire sensor is a switch to ground, like temp sensor (gets hot enough thermal switch grounds) light goes on, oil tank (float switch grounds) light goes on. is this the same sled you had to rewire to relay ground?

no1chevyboy said:
well normally a one wire sensor is a switch to ground, like temp sensor (gets hot enough thermal switch grounds) light goes on, oil tank (float switch grounds) light goes on. is this the same sled you had to rewire to relay ground?

No while I was searching that is what I found... I never touch mine...

K I understand that with the one wire...

So how do the 2 wires work on the oil and temp?

thermo switch heats and makes connection,oil tank float makes connection same as one wire but other wire is ground.gauge sensors are useually resistance to ground

Last edited:
The oil tank sensor actually triggers (good) when oil itself completes the electical circuit. When oil level drops below the sensor electrodes the circuit is broken and the CDI logic recognizes this as low oil level and triggers the warning.

The fuel level sensor on the other hand is connected to a float.

Okay guys here it is, the Fuel sensor is a resistive sensor. This means the CDI is looking for a particular resistance to trigger a low fuel warning (not sure what that value is). After doing some investigating in the manual ( http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/service/viewmanual.aspx?ls=sport&yr=2003&lid=6&mid=451) I noticed that there is an open or shorted fault indicator sensed by the CDI. This tells me this sensor is also a variable resistor and in normal operation, the CDI is looking for a particular resistance to trigger a warning (again not sure what that resistance is). If you short or disconnect these wires it will only bring on a trouble indication and not a hi temp. I hope this helps.

Back