Cylinder deglazing...........Tech section article?

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
This is one of those subjects that people have varied opinions on and the searches on this subject don't really clarify things any better.The guys that do a lot of engine building,more than just the odd blow up like the rest of us,would be in the best position to share their wealth of knowledge on this subject.
Could someone make a step by step guide or something to put in the tech section for guys like me to follow?People have suggested hones,ball or stone type,but what grit?What kind of drill speed should you use?How many times should you run it up and down the cylinder?These are a few of the questions I personally have but I'm sure there are others to add to the list.
I know the concept is to give the rings the cleanest surface to seal against but the method is what guys are looking for.

I followed Mr. Viper's recommendations to use a three stone hone and just run it in and out a few times.I don't remember the grit of stone, but somewhere he did specify and I used honing oil as well.My cylinders deglazed nicely and I had a successful rebuild.

I personally dont like using the 3 finger hone on a 2 stroke cyl. If its a plated cyl that still measures within tolerances just scrub it with a scotch brite pad and warm soapy water. Been doing it this way for all my rebuilds and always had respectable compression numbers. By no means am I a mechanic but this is the way I have been doing it and it works. You dont wanna remove material anyway you just want to deglaze the cyl. I have seen my share of damaged cyl that had the nikasil coating flaking around the ports due to either improper use of the honing tool or if it catches a port window when your trying to hone the cyl. Maybe some other people will chime in too, like I said these are my experiences I am not a mechanic ;)!

Back