Stock Yamaha Plastic Skis--need info

Twin_SXs

Okay... I've dug and searched and read and searched some more. I'm looking for info on all the different types of stock yamaha skis. I've been a doo guy for the last many years, but my blood has always been blue. I recently bought two 1997 SX's--a 600 and 700--which I'll be using for spares this season. They both need skis. My dad also rides a 1997 VMAX deluxe 500, which has the stock steel skis with plastic skins. I'd like to update all three sleds with stock Yamaha plastic skis.

The kicker is I don't know anything about any of the skis that Yammie shipped with, or what I should be looking for, or what sleds different skis came on.

My Dad's 82. I need something that steers easy, bolts on easy, and isn't twitchy or darty. Most likely he'll be riding all three sleds, so I'd like to get three pairs of something that are all the same, so we can share carbides, etc... I need cruising skis--a nice set of clean, comfortable, easy steering trail ski.

I'm seeing a couple different types of skis for sale--the GYTs and the newer ones with the aluminum saddles...are there other stockers that I don't know about? Did yammie only ship with two different skis since 1998?

Could someone summarize all the different types of skis that were shipped on Yammie sleds, which sleds and what years they came out on, and maybe just a little bit of a review of each type of ski and how they handle?

I would really appreciate it. It's kind of a big investment for some old sleds and I'd like to get it right the first time.

the stock sxr skis are the easyest of the stockers to steer. i didn't find the viper ones that much harder on my sxr when i had them on. there is more carbide options for the viper skis than the sxr's. you could also use the stock saddless skis that come on the rx1/warrior/apex as it is almost the same ski as the viper.

compared my rxwar skis to bros viper skis and both will bolt on in place of the other.

i have 1 pair of stock sxr (2002) i would like to get rid of. Some wear but in good shape. Stock saddles. $50 plus shipping, OBO. PM or reply here.

I have a set of 2007 Attak stock skis with red or black handles with 6" dual carbines I might get rid of for the right price. I run the C@A Pro XT's and these are simply a back up ski for crapy conditions. They have 1300 miles on them all U.P snowy conditions. Still in almost perfect shape. ( I haven't had to use them in the "crapy" conditions yet. lol )

-1CS

Four styles of ski used by Yamaha over the last 10 or so years.
1) steel, like the ones you have.
2) Plastic GYT skis with thick cast aluminum shoe. A direct replacement for the steel.
3) Plastic ski with Stamped aluminum shoe. The bolt hole in these style of skis is approx. 1" shorter than the steel/gyt. Meaning the sled will sit 1 " lower.
4) Current shoeless design, also the same hieght and issues as #3. There are differing keel depths available as well.

You may need a longer bolt for some of these over another and #4 has some bushings you need for the carbide holes. A used set would probably come with those but be sure to find out.

I have driven 1,2 and 4 and all darted to a certain extent, but I would have to say #2 was the best for non-darting. The pair I had were pretty worn though and have since been permently retired.

Hope this helped some.

Last edited:
crewchief47 said:
Four styles of ski used by Yamaha over the last 10 or so years.
1) steel, like the ones you have.
2) Plastic GYT skis with thick cast aluminum shoe. A direct replacement for the steel.
3) Plastic ski with Stamped aluminum shoe. The bolt hole in these style of skis is approx. 1" shorter than the steel/gyt. Meaning the sled will sit 1 " lower.
4) Current shoeless design, also the same hieght and issues as #3. There are differing keel depths available as well.

You may need a longer bolt for some of these over another and #4 has some bushings you need for the carbide holes. A used set would probably come with those but be sure to find out.

I have driven 1,2 and 4 and all darted to a certain extent, but I would have to say #2 was the best for non-darting. The pair I had were pretty worn though and have since been permently retired.

Hope this helped some.

Oh, thank you so much! That is exactly the info I was looking for. The GYTs (#2's in your list) sound like exactly what I need for my three sleds. Thanks again!

archer said:
i have 1 pair of stock sxr (2002) i would like to get rid of. Some wear but in good shape. Stock saddles. $50 plus shipping, OBO. PM or reply here.

I'll take them for $50... They're in useable shape, right? Do they have carbides?

Actually I just got them out to take a pic for you and they are in good shape and very usable. They have decent carbides. 1 seems to be missing the rubber cushion, I will look for it but D Kirk does sell them.

Back