Strong raw fuel smell

bigreis

VIP Lifetime Member
I am wondering if anyone else has experienced a strong raw gas smell when riding just after filling up the tank on a 2002 Viper? I always fill mine up to the bottom of the filler neck in the tank and then it smells like raw gas is leaking out somewhere until I get about 50 miles on, then the smell goes away. My brother has a 2002 Viper as well and I have never noticed that smell while riding his... so that leads me to belive something isn't quite right with mine. Also, we have the same weight and riding style... he gets 12 mpg, I only get 9. Where is the gas going?

Thanks!

Check the tank vent. It is loacted near the top of the tank, near the steering stem/steering hoop, almost right behind the bolt that holds the airbox to the steering hoop. Sometimes, they pop out of the tank.

I had this very problem this year on my 2002 SRX. It ended up being the fuel vent line . On the SRX tank the vent line has a 90 degree fitting that presses into a metal mount flange that screws onto the tank on the upper left hand side of the tank, just under the steering hoop. I secured the elbow with green loctite and the problem was solved!
I suspect I pulled the fitting out when I raised my bars an additional 2 " this fall.

Hope this helps!

Bob

j_k_auto said:
I had the same problem with mine tapped it in good and never came back out..

When it happened to mine I thought about posting it as a possible safety issue and should be checked but I figured it was an isolated case...maybe not?

sideshowBob said:
When it happened to mine I thought about posting it as a possible safety issue and should be checked but I figured it was an isolated case...maybe not?

same problem on my 00 SRX

Yes, I have seen that fitting come out on a number of sleds. I have used various ways of securing it back in there, but really don't like any of them that much. I think it gets loosened on sleds that get torn down or have the tank removed for any reason. Also if the vent line gets fuel in it (which happens when it gets rolled on the right side) the line will shrink over time. One thing that helps is to free up some slack along the steering gate, takes some time and effort, but can be done.

Thanks for the help guys... that was the problem and it has been a pleasure riding without smelling raw gas!

Back