SXR 700 shuting down on its own..Help!

nojokef7

What does it usually mean when a sled thats been running fine all of a suden shuts down (while riding not idle), but then after sitting for about 5min it starts right back up again and runs for another 1/2-1mi and shuts down again. i am not holding fliper in one spot im all over on the gas. Now i am running Bender tripples and Bender clutch kit with 93oct no ethonol (full tank) and 1/2gal of 100oct race fuel mixed in. 50 pilots, clips at 3-4-3, 150 mains. All 3 plugs are a light brown color which i believe is fine, right? As of now i won't be able to check out more on it till tomorrow after work. So just wondering what all you pros think it up with my sled. Also i never saw a coolant light come on either i was in way more then enough snow to have to worry about that anyways.

I had this happen right before my motor was shot. My sister was riding my sled. It quit running on her while she was riding it. We got it started after a few minutes, and then it ran a little bit longer and the same thing happened again. This time, we couldn't start it or even pull it over. We tore it apart and found that the piston ring got stuck on an exhaust valve. The oil pump went out, and we had no idea until after the rebuild. I hope this isn't the case for you.

Well I checked all wires that i could see and all looks good and tested my stator and got
1-414
2-96
3-194
So they are all with in range per diagram on http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/...ead.php?t=76280
I also took pipes off and looked in jugs to check for scoring on pistons cause i also noticed that i haven't used much oil at all for the amount of riding i did on Saterday and Sunday but they all look fine. Looking down in my pipes looked like a burnt rust color and the more i look at my spark plugs they probably are lighter then they should be...so maybe im running too lean?? I'll have to check oil cable measurment tomorrow i guess...whats the 700 suposed to be at 22mm or so?????? Also do you guys think i should bother changing pilots (i have 52.5s layin around) or change settings on clips?????
I'm just frustrated with it, we finally have snow and are gettin more and of course i'm working on it and not riding it.

The wire rub through they are talking about happens under the engine. You have to unhook your headlights and stuff and fish the loom out from under the engine. Some people tie a string on it to help pull it back through when you done fixing/inspecting. others reroute it over the top of the engine. hope this helps. other guys are better at explaining things than i am and they will.

The wires under the engine were all good and rewraped with electrical tape this past fall when i replace the motor and i also rechecked last night with a flash light and their still fine.

It may be something else but what you described in your first post I have seen three times on three different sleds. A new stator fixed the problem on all three sleds.

The stator may check fine when it has the ability to cool down, but the trick is to check it when it is hot and the sled has quit. I'd put my money on the stator being bad.

I have the same sort of problem. My coolant ligt blinks 3 times first, the engine cuts out and at times may start up and go after 1/2 second. once the sled ran fine on high beem only. the tech manual says this blinking 3 times is a head bulb issue. My bulbs look fine. Puzzeling as the sled ran fine on high beem. does anyone have any suggestions?

ok well i had the samething happen to me and i was out in the middel of the bush testing the sled alone lol.
my cdi was tosted and when i changed it i found a wire going from my cdi up the side of the tank and the wire was rubbed trough it took we a bit to findit, so it was gronding out my cdi maybe take a look there. good luck man

Back