what is the best skid on the market?

this is a loaded question, right there with what oil is the best. what riding do you do? what are you looking for? most important and least important qualities? like I have said a lot, I like the mono in my viper as it is a lot lighter than stock, I lost no top end or acceleration (actually gained acceleration with the better traction) and the handling seemed to improve as well. and if anything brakes I can get it from a yamaha dealer. clean install and pretty easily tuned and set up. but I know the m-10 is good for trail riding if you are ok with speed loss, and a lot of people like the expert for the weight transfer.

I personally would never trust a a Carbon fiber skid for trail use.

I've seen far too many delamination and cracking issues with CF parts that see less abuse than a set of rails.

But yeah, what skid is a very loaded question. A used Xtra 10 can improve the rear suspension of a proaction for a small amount of money.

I love the input....

Ymoney is also a big factor. Budget and all..

I was trying to get input for a lot of newbies and even myself...

I was told the expert x is hard to beat. I was hoping there was a lighter skid with a better ride with it being able to jump with no recoil....

Maybe it just don't exist.......

A SKI DOOER RODE MINE LAST NIGHT . M20 WITH OHLINS FRONT . HE SAID THAT'S JUST WRONG . ITS LIKE BEING IN A CAR .
NO SLED SHOULD RIDE THAT NICE , ITS ALL WRONG :ban:
AS I RODE HIS SLED I DID FIND THAT THERE WERE BUMPS IN THE TRAIL #$%&* . IM SO USED TO MINE I DONT GIVE IT A THOUGHT
YES I PUT BIG BUCKS IT THE SUSPENSION . BUT WITH A FAKE HIP AND 6 SCREWS IN MY BACK :bling: . I WAS A WEE BIT WORRIED ABOUT GETTING HAMMERED

So far, I'm likin' my 136 IQ that I put in this year. I paid $300 for it and it seems alot lighter than the old 121 proaction. I didn't weigh them but I picked both of them up and the IQ was definitely lighter.

s fortuna said:
A SKI DOOER RODE MINE LAST NIGHT . M20 WITH OHLINS FRONT . HE SAID THAT'S JUST WRONG . ITS LIKE BEING IN A CAR .
NO SLED SHOULD RIDE THAT NICE , ITS ALL WRONG :ban:
AS I RODE HIS SLED I DID FIND THAT THERE WERE BUMPS IN THE TRAIL #$%&* . IM SO USED TO MINE I DONT GIVE IT A THOUGHT
YES I PUT BIG BUCKS IT THE SUSPENSION . BUT WITH A FAKE HIP AND 6 SCREWS IN MY BACK :bling: . I WAS A WEE BIT WORRIED ABOUT GETTING HAMMERED
go the extra and get the boss seat, you will be amazed how much better that fast skid rides

I like my Cat skid, 136" mountain cat. I like the ease of adjusting the spring tension with the multi position blocks. Just need a spark plug socket to spin the block, & clicker shock is easy too. I always hated having to spin the spring on the shock, Then lock the jam nuts.

I had an 02 Edge X 600 with an M-10, I loved... not as much as the prick that stole it but anyway, that's a different subject.
I have no opinion on the Expert X because I've never rode on one but I found the M-10 easy to adjust to weight (passenger) or riding style, it only takes 10 minutes or less (includes getting your tools and putting them away)
I launched it big on a few jumps more than once, and it was always taking it. There's deffinately a loss out of the hole without setting it up for that too and the top end sucks unless you get it to squat

like everyone says, you need the skid to suit your riding style.
I rode with 700, 800 and a couple RX1's, nobody could touch me in the trails on my lil ole 600. I ride fast and aggresive, and of course the lake was a different story but anyone can squeeze the trigger and go straight can't they? lol

Im still going to throw the thumbs up out to the Expert X. Simple to adjust on the trail, if you look at it you'll see that youd be very very hard pressed to break anything on it. Weight transfer is incredible if you give the knob a few cranks, or its very tame with a few turns of the knob. Hyfax wear is virtually non exsistant. People say they dont lose top end but i feel it did scrub a little. The skid loves to be pounded on, the faster and harder you ride it the better it is. It does collect alot of snow and ice but its a snowmobile you get the picture.

Back