01 sxr 700 hand warmers don't work

j_k son

i have a 2001 yamaha sxr with a 136 track on it with a 2-up seat tht also has hand warmers on it. my mine warmers dont get warm when on any setting with the 2-up seat off, unless on a long ride thn they start to work slowly( couple hours).i have nothin do to the motor and theres no elctric start but has reverse. wht is the problem here this is my first year ridin it and it makes me mad tht they dont work. can anyone help me with this???? :o|

Check the voltage coming from the reostat. Maybe it is defective. Hows the thumb warmer? What is the resistance of the two hand warmers? There may be a problem with u'r stator, I think the hand warmers have their own seperate coils but I am not sure, I'd have to look n my manual. Don't have time as I'm going riding.

Last edited:
my thumb warmer does the same as the hands warmer if i turn it on. i have two different knobs. i hope its not my stator.

Expose the wiring under the handdle bar pad. Find the grip warmer connection. disconnect and use a volt meter on the two leads. Bring the rpm's up to 3500 or so. You should have 12-13 volts.

stein700sx said:
Expose the wiring under the handdle bar pad. Find the grip warmer connection. disconnect and use a volt meter on the two leads. Bring the rpm's up to 3500 or so. You should have 12-13 volts.

We got 9 volts.... :o|

Also we are getting 13.5 on all the hot wires at idle. I think the stator is putting out enough just something between the stator to all the warmers has gone bad.

Last edited:
Anyone?

How do you test the condenser?

I checked the volts at each condenser.

One has 9 volts and the other has 13 volts.....

I think one of these are bad.

Anyone know what if I run without these for a minute. I just want to plug the good one in the hand warmer circuit to see if this is the problem?

I am also looking at other sleds to use a good one from another sled I have...

They have different part numbers on the different years....

They are all round and I see no numbers... what to do what to do... :o|

Last edited:
Well I did some more testing...

The pickup came out ok....

The stator seems ok setting at .5 just above spec.

Out of the stator while idling I get about 6 out of all 3 wires

I was thinking it is the main switch or the load control relay...but....

I looked over the wiring diagram and looked at what each thing is and where they go. I looked at it for a good 1/2 hour....

It seems like everything related goes to the cdi box.

Man Its been a long day and I still not sure of the problem..... :o|

I hope someone can chime in and maybe know the answer....

I feel bad for my son and passenger (2up) having cold hands......

The best part is I searched this and now I think it can be 5 things... :o|

I was thinking it shows that the peak power should be 18-17 @ 1800 rpm.

Does that mean with everything disconnected or just as it sits with lights on.

basically check it with everything unplugged?

hereismylife said:
I was thinking it shows that the peak power should be 18-17 @ 1800 rpm.

Does that mean with everything disconnected or just as it sits with lights on.

basically check it with everything unplugged?

Tell me what you find, I may have the same problem.

hereismylife said:
We got 9 volts.... :o|

Also we are getting 13.5 on all the hot wires at idle. I think the stator is putting out enough just something between the stator to all the warmers has gone bad.
makesure you test the hot wire and the ground!!! dont test through the handwarmers it will lower your voltage

Back