01 sxr 700 hand warmers don't work

roudyroy1 said:
Alright, well idid it and it snowed 200 ohms, what's that mean?

Rplace

Do both show 200 ohms? That seems very low.
Unfortunately I do not have grips like yours to test against your results.
Maybe someone here can test their sled that is the same as yours and post their results.

IMO The 200 ohms is low. That low resistance should be producing alot of heat.

Last edited:
stein700sx said:
Rplace

Do both show 200 ohms? That seems very low.
Unfortunately I do not have grips like yours to test against your results.
Maybe someone here can test their sled that is the same as yours and post their results.

IMO The 200 ohms is low. That low resistance should be producing alot of heat.

yea... i f@#ked up, it has 2.1k ohms. i tested the grips on my good sled and they came out to 3.8- 3.9. woud that be enough to make them go warm and not hot?

Last edited:
alright well im back again months latter, i replaced the grips to no evale there not hot but im getting 12 volts?

What type of grips did you put on? I put aftermarket on mine 01SXR700 before and had to replace them as they wouldn't get hot enough. Had to go back to factory.

Grrrr this confuses the hell out of me. Maybe I should just stick to dirtbikes

Last edited:
Update... Still having a problem. We did find out that the longer we run the sled above 40 mph they kinda get warmer but not hot like my 2000 sxr. They warm up at idle. my 03 viper and my sons sxr 700 are having the same problem so to speak. just mine warm up hotter the longer we run it.

Hate to be "that guy" and just say live with it, but that's what I'm gonna have to say.
I have the same machine and they don't just up and get hot at idle like every other sled in the world. My buddy's 2000 heats right up during warmup. Different ignition system, AC vs DC. It's a different animal. They work, just not exceptionally well. Nature of the beast.

Your hands don't get hot, like every other sled you've ridden, but you'll notice that they never get cold. I wear leather gloves, and I've only ever had to turn mine down late in the season while working the hell out of the machine. I also attribute that to wearing down the padding and the leather on the palms of the gloves throughout the season.

Hate to be "that guy" and just say live with it, but that's what I'm gonna have to say.
I have the same machine and they don't just up and get hot at idle like every other sled in the world. My buddy's 2000 heats right up during warmup. Different ignition system, AC vs DC. It's a different animal. They work, just not exceptionally well. Nature of the beast.

Your hands don't get hot, like every other sled you've ridden, but you'll notice that they never get cold. I wear leather gloves, and I've only ever had to turn mine down late in the season while working the hell out of the machine. I also attribute that to wearing down the padding and the leather on the palms of the gloves throughout the season.

Bang on the money!! the differance is the sleds electrical system, old ones(ac current) were smokin hot, new ones from 01 up (dc current and run thru the cdi box)need to be above 4000rpm before they build heat, at idle they do about nothing.

did not, i think it must be nature of the beast or the resistors have wore out over time and not telling the cdi to give full power, bought new resistors and will reply back. btw how many volts are you getting at 3500 rpm? should be about 12.

did not, i think it must be nature of the beast or the resistors have wore out over time and not telling the cdi to give full power, bought new resistors and will reply back. btw how many volts are you getting at 3500 rpm? should be about 12.
I am getting about 3.5 at 3500. Everything else works fine except grips and thumb warmer .

way to low, ohm out your resistors, 400-600 is acceptable fully turned. other than that it may be in your cdi, power is fed from voltage regulator to cdi then to grips and thumb

Back