Need to figure out my 02 SRX 700 hard starting!

Had the same problem like many others with the 600/700 triple. Installed a fuel shut off and a primer on my 99 600 triple. Starts first pull.

View attachment 67532
View attachment 67534
View attachment 67535
My solution to the problem. Starts first pull.
I have a shut off valve on it now but if it still starts hard coming this winter I may add the primer like yours. I had a 99 sx600 and that one always started great compared to my SRX. I know the reed spacers are welcomed on the red heads and thats a perfect spot to add the primer, but people aren't real fond of the spacers on the SRX models.

Well it's definitely better but not great. The SRX sat another week or so and I wanted to check a new clutch setup and adjust the belt so I had to start it. It popped on the 9th and 10th pull and finally started on the 11th. I'm running out of ideas other than to try and somehow add a primer system.

Not sure if this would help but I had a problem with a Yamaha outboard and to make a looooong story short the dealer said its nearly impossible to get all the passages entirely clear using the spray and blow method which I have used for decades. I took carb apart and gave him the housing he used a sonic cleaner on it and it fixed my issue. Then I had and issue with a Johnson outboard carb and I did the same thing and it ran great when done. I plan on doing it to my sleds IF I have an issue with them

Another issue I had on a 05 vector 4 stroke was hard start and I was told 2 things from people on this site. One was to have it close to full when it sits for long periods. And to pressurize fuel system through vent while cracking engine over. I just blow in it while cranking you can hear the fuel in the pump. Not sure if this would work the same on a 2 stroke. Just another easy idea maybe

Not sure if this would help but I had a problem with a Yamaha outboard and to make a looooong story short the dealer said its nearly impossible to get all the passages entirely clear using the spray and blow method which I have used for decades. I took carb apart and gave him the housing he used a sonic cleaner on it and it fixed my issue. Then I had and issue with a Johnson outboard carb and I did the same thing and it ran great when done. I plan on doing it to my sleds IF I have an issue with them
I borrowed a friends Ultra Sonic cleaner from your tip to try on the carbs. I'm not sure on the best cleaner to use but he had used simple green concentrate with good results.

I started breaking my second set of carbs down to put in the ultra sonic cleaner but I noticed the seal and bearing where the throttle shaft sits in at the top of the carbs. The seals and bearings don't look like a lot of fun to remove. Do I need to be worried about putting the carbs in the ultra sonic cleaner with those on and ruining them?

That’s a great question. I usually just few drop of dawn dish soap. That’s not very harsh and shouldn’t hurt anything. But I try to keep anything with rubber parts out.

That’s a great question. I usually just few drop of dawn dish soap. That’s not very harsh and shouldn’t hurt anything. But I try to keep anything with rubber parts out.
well I tried one carb tonight with full strength simple green as my friend suggested. It turned the carb really dark gray. I tried another part at 1:4 with distilled water. It might have been a little better but not great.

well I tried one carb tonight with full strength simple green as my friend suggested. It turned the carb really dark gray. I tried another part at 1:4 with distilled water. It might have been a little better but not great.
It will make them look darker in color. Can you post a pic?

In the photo above the carb on the left was the one I ran through the ultrasonic cleaner with simple green.

After thoroughly cleaning a spare set of carbs through an ultrasonic cleaner I was making sure everything was set properly. I noticed one of the slides was out of adjustment. I went to loosen the jamb nut so I could turn the screw and the arm broke, instead of the nut coming loose. They no longer offer the part and I'm not sure I want to buy a whole used carb set to fix it.

Back