Reeds

snowhite

Easier to ask, so on my’99 600 redhead I rebuilt the motor with 20,000 kms on her. So at the time I inspected the reeds and they looked fine. Should I have replaced them with this type of mileage? The motor seems to run okay especially after new pistons/rings etc. If I need to replace them is there any benefit to aftermarket performance replacement or just oem?

according to what i read back in the day, unless porting work was done, there was no gain with aftermarket. reed spacers or the stopper notch in the tec pages where better bang for the buck.

Agree with Maim. Reed spacers and Turks clutching suggestions on the TY tech page sure woke up my 99 600SX ditch banger. Not sure how much if any HP it adds but the throttle response from idle to WOT is noticeably improved as compared to my stock 700 redhead. Pretty aggressive setup for trail riding. I also upgraded the steering post on the 600SX with one from a 2002 SRX as the stock one broke and the newer one is much better reinforced. It also provides a small offset for more clearance from the carbs which can be a problem when adding reed spacers.

I’m surprised a SRX offset steering shaft fit your SX, as it would not work in my 600 XTC because the notch in the bulkhead was not big enough, and rubbed.

I jus recall it being a recommended upgrade when installing reed spacers. No problem with bulkhead clearance on mine but good to know as I use the 600SX ditch banger as a test bed for any modifications I may want to do to the 700.

Back