MM700 redhead issues

BillyJoel

I’ve got a redhead mountain max with triple decker pipes, v force reeds, air box has been gutted. Trouble is the middle cylinder will not fire at idle. Middle pipe stays cold until revved up. Don’t think it’s running 100% on top end either but haven’t ran it long since it’s not right at idle. Tried swapping plugs and wires around and stays in centre cylinder. Checked the idle jet and replaced needle seat o-ring, checked float height. When I pull plug out it’s wet so seems like maybe flooding out at idle but don’t know why. Checked reeds and one was a little chipped at the end but no air gap through it so don’t think it’s affecting it. Wonder about weak spark but always stayed on centre cylinder no matter which wire so don’t think it can be that? Any help is appreciated!

Maybe lift that cylinder off and do physical inspection of the piston and cylinder.
Or first, do a leak down or compression test.
Also check the metering needle in the carb. I've seen the needle and the clip wear out and then the needle just drops down.
Pilot jet is clear?

Pilot jet is clear. I need to get a compression tester. It’s my brothers skidoo and I remember a compression test being done when he got it but I need to check that again. I had all the needles out and checked that they were clipped the same.

Back