2001 phazer project

03viperguy

Just picked up a phazer deluxe yesterday for $500. Guy said it lost spark and they parked it, never got to fixing it. Minor fading to the red paint that I promptly buffed right up (shiny is kind of my thing 😆)
Looking for tips on where to start with the no spark issue. Has 150 psi in each cylinder. 2300 miles, overall in pretty decent shape. Excited to get it ready for my daughter for next season!

Attachments

• PXL_20240401_210043096.jpg
    PXL_20240401_210043096.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Here is a few before and after pics of the cleanup. Camera doesn't seem to capture how shiny it is now, looks even better in personPXL_20240401_162014898.jpgPXL_20240401_201346232.jpgPXL_20240401_213204691.jpgPXL_20240401_222438225.jpg

Last edited:
Did ya check the flywheel for rust?
I have not. Took the coil out and tested, the primary side jumps around and settles on zero for resistance, seems like a good place to start. Part ordered, I'll know in a few days!

Last edited:
Pickup coil ohms white/red to white/green about 205

Charge coil Brown to Black about 300 ohms, or peak AC voltage of 210-225

CDI output Orange to Black 205 Volts

Peak AC voltage is done cranking the engine over with the electric start.

New coil installed last night, I have spark! I'll be putting the carbs back in today at some point and trying to fire it up. I want to flush the tank and install a new fuel filter in the tank as well as the pickup line, I ordered those with the coil. I will hopefully hear it run by the end of the day

New coil installed last night, I have spark! I'll be putting the carbs back in today at some point and trying to fire it up. I want to flush the tank and install a new fuel filter in the tank as well as the pickup line, I ordered those with the coil. I will hopefully hear it run by the end of the day
Awesome!! Good news!!

Sure is. Finished cleaning the carbs and reinstalled, pulled the tank off to clean and install a new pickup line and filter, hopefully try firing it this afternoon!

It runs! It's a little bit boggy and seems to be missing. Pulled the carbs back off and they seem to have sucked in some crap. I'm also getting a new battery for it since the manual says to start with that before testing the stator. I'm soaking the carb bodies overnight and will try again tomorrow

That would certainly do it. But correct me if I’m wrong. Isn’t the measurement taken as the needle is lightly seated? The way I was taught was to tilt carb sideways then slowly upright the carb till needle is lightly seated then measure. More of like a 45 degree angle usually did it. With The carb sitting upright the float falls lower from weigh of float and measurement is off. Curious to know?

This is how I did it, with the carb upside down as it is a twin. The phazer factory manual shows the carb completely upside down

It runs and idles pretty dang well with the floats adjusted and a fresh battery. Seems a little flat right off idle, maybe turn the air screws in like an 1/8th? Or should I play with the float height? Open to suggestions! Been a long while since I played with a fan cooled and had to fine tune

Back