vmax 500 ,600

rutcgr18

my buddy has a couple of vmax's 95 vmax 500 and a 96 vmax 600 long track. Would like to do some modifications to them. not to drastic maby to get a little horsepower out of them or maby set the suspesion up better. Just didnt know if any one can help me. I am some what new to the snowmobile area i have rode dirtbikes my hole life. I have been riding sleds for about 3 years
thanks
mike

he's right. go through both clutches with a fine toothed come. check the springs, cams and bushings. lots of power can be lost there. i have the factory manuals if you need specs. check your jetting as per your elevation, etc.....
think snow!!!!

I bought a 96' V-Max 500 for my girlfriend and started modifying it this week. The cases are the same on a V-Max 500 and 600. I bought the heads and cylinder off of a guy who was parting his 600 sled out. It's a bolt on deal, just a top end job. I did order a matched set of Wiseco pistons, boyesen reeds, and a set of used twin pipes (gyt-r) off of e-bay for $100. I've got the jetting specs for the pipes and will wait for snow to finesse the clutching. My point is that if you plan on doing anything to the motor, then clutching should be the last thing you do after the other mods.

I also have a 96 600. My biggest improvement was installing a thinner headgasket. Man what a difference. Only a 15 min job too. Not much $ either. Pilot jet to 45 also helped , check elevation though..
I think SRXDUDE has some tips in the tech page ,clutching.
I think the 95s already had the thin headgaskets.

do you have to change the jetting? you said it was easy only 15 mins what did this do give you more compression? Was it a thinner gasket? How much did it cost?
thanks
mike

It's a thinner gasket. I got it from Bender, part # HGP96 Performance Headgasket. Around $30 bucks( If they still have it). It may take a bit longer than 15 min, depending on how long it takes to remove old one. I raised the front of the sled as much as I could to reduce the coolant leakage. No jetting changes where necessary just use the higher octane fuel. Much better throttle response. Sled ran alot better overall. I think the 95's came with a thin headgasket stock. Maybe someone here can verify that.

This is on a 98 600. You can buy at any Yamaha dealer. I can't find my receipt, else i could give you the part number. Mine has had the thin head gasket from day one. It is a simple procedure. Better response, and runs better all round. Does not affect reliablity.
A tip on the coolant spilling into your cylinders when you remove head. Lift the front end like "wanasrx" says. There are a couple small plugs (screws) in the case just under the cylinder joint. Pull the plug and the coolant will leak out of the system. Better to have on the floor than in your cylinders.

Back