How to map trails ?

w8tn4snow

Hi , my local club is looking into mapping all of our trails and we are looking for any ideas on the best way to do this .
We currently have just a hand drawn map that is way out of date . Ive been told GPS is the way to go . I would like to learn more on this if anyone can help me .
Thanks

I know on the gps i bought there is a feature on it called tracks, it shows where you have been and shows it by drawing a line.

I have mapped just about all of the trails in the caberfee system along with the Manestee, irons and benzie trails. I use a Lawrance 3500C, this is a color 5" screen, as I am running the trail and come to a stop sign, i edit the correct sign simble. I add trail numbers and warning simbles as needed. Each trail I try to edit in a different color also. I am going to try to download what I have onto a SD card.

Simple how to Map

You'll need a gps and mapping software...duh.

I use a Garmin...cause if you know one Garmin you can run any Garmin. But they all work good enough to map a trail for you and your buds.

National Geographic TOPO series works fine for America and it prints a very nice map, maps are good to have:-)...I just checked and NG doesn't like the Canadians...they probability don't like hockey...So you guys to the North could try the DeLorma or Maptech products. Or you can use Garmin MapSource. MapSource allows you to view your track later in GoogleEarth which is way cool. With a bit of computer savvy you can export GoogleEarth map spotted waypoints as a KML file and convert them into a CSV file and load them into your GPS thru National Geo.

First take you GPS and set the preferences to WGS84/NAD83 cause that's what the satellites use. Then set your units to display your latitude and longitude to what ever you like...I like DDD.MM.mmm...that degrees minutes and decimal minutes. One reason is the guys that will come to save your butt when you get in a jam, they use decimal minutes.

Another preference to set is the track point store interval. Your GPS has a finite memory. Never mind you 8 million gigs on the super duper SD card you just got for a dollar two ninety-eight on Ebay it's still finite. Again Garmin's use time or distance. I like time. Distance is straight line distance from the last track point (these are very different from waypoints). If you have a large distance interval of say 1/4 mile or 400 meters you could "cut the corner" on the plot of your trail. It really depends on what you what the finished product to look like...that said I set time to be 10 seconds...one stored track point every 10 sec. or 360 per hour. Not to big and with enough detail to make a good plot.

These and other forums have threads on finding slick ways to get heat to your GPS. Heat is good cause LCD screens of GPS get real SSSSLLLOOOWWW at -5F and below. At-10F new Duracells last about an hour. You can be a major supporter of the Engerizer Bunny or you can hard wire your GPS into your snowmachine with a factory 12vdc power cable. Just make sure to use a fuse...Garmin sez 1.5 amps.

Now strap your GPS on your carbon footprinter and go have some fun. When all else fails read the manual.

pc360
Big Lake, AK

Natural Selection begins with you!

Back