SRX the storybook ..

The guy that wrecked it had it built and it wasn't really race ready. The guy that has it winning completely revised it and it is durable and fast.

Gorkon said:
Thanks RJH: Way cool stuff. I am curious about a few things though, what do you mean by "The new guys just don't get it"? Can you expand on that at all?

n. G.

To be honest...a winning stocker in the the early 70's was faster than vintage racing stocker today.

You see..the competition was huge...there were 4 to 5 heats ..only the fast made the final.

I have seen many vintage sleds run today..and they are all slow.

But...competition is competition...its still good to be the fastest today...of the new guys.

There was no magic...no cheating...just massive competition...competition breeds speed.

Alberta SSR

Getting a little off the OP, but had to chime in. About 15 years ago, I saw an ad in the Alberta RV Trader magazine for an SSR for sale in Vegreville, AB. Called the guy and bought the sled sight unseen. It was shipped to the Fort St. John Yammie dealer for me and I still have it today. No real history, was told that it was brought in by the dealer in Vegreville, and "raced a couple times" and then sat in the showroom until he sold it to me. S/N 216 Had a strange paint job on the hood, which I put back to original. Might be one of your Wetaskiwin sleds?
Robin.

Okay, well if it was one of the Wetaskiwin sleds, that isn't how it was painted then. Enjoy your find, hopefully I too will one day possess one of those beasties. G.

Gorkon said:
Here is the only pic I can find of that day that shows one of the SSR's racing.....by ITSELF! You can't even see the rest of the field, they're still on the back straight and not even into the turn yet!

This other picture was the local paper the following Monday. I raced against this Dennis Clarke fellow they're talking about years earlier and he replaced me as driver with my then Sponsor, Topline Cycle. Sadly Dennis is no longer with us, but this was definitely a day in the sun for him on his SSR. I know I'll never forget it! G.
HOLY SLED THREAD RESURRECTION BATMAN!!

Gorkon, where are you? (I'm trying to track you down)It appears you havnt been on here much of late!! (Oh wait a minute- you were just here TODAY!- check your PMs)

I can tell you exactly what happened to D. Clarke's SSR from that race in Wetaskiwin

Thanks
WopOnTour
(NWSA #10)

PS> That "My Way" SSR right behind Clarke was Frenchie Moisan out of Prince George BC, but you're right they had those SSRs dialed in for Wetaskiwin.

THANKS!!

Attachments

• 719_Wetaskiwin76.jpg
    719_Wetaskiwin76.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
WOW...
After lightly browsing through most of this info (I had a 79 SRX, never rode it but I liked it) it reminds me of a Vmax my cousin bought.
I'm sure it was an 85 and he was told it was a Yamaha prototype and it should have never made its way out thier door. This machine had a 500cc engine, it ran when he bought it and then developed a detonation problem or was it a grenade... anyway, he couldn't get any engine parts from Yamaha or aftermarket.

I guess we should have been playing on the internet a little more 15+ years ago...

Great info guys

I have no idea Tony, it could have been just that but as I said it was his and it's too long ago too remember. It wasn't around long, about all I can remember is giving him sh__ for buying a prototype and then giggling a bit after it blew up.
It's definately one of those things you wish you had back though, like that 71 Dart Swinger, 69 Dart, 73 Challenger and even my old 79 Trans AM :(

Last edited:
Ha..ya..still here.

In 1974 (the year of that video) we raced stock 340 , 400 and 440 with support from Yamaha Canada.

1975 we ran mod stock

It wasn't until 1976 that we ran in pro and I won all heats and finals in 340 at Peterborough and was on the podium in 440 each time. Well..Y.D. hit me in the 440 final Mondey bending my sled in half. They gave me the first ever Jim Adema memorial cup..

So..why is my name mentioned in 74 in pro...I have no idea. I used to race mod with my stocker from time to time when they worked well on specific tracks..maybe it was my stocker???

After a couple decades of rest I have come back on the other side..making McNair Racing sleds competitive. Both riders did get hurt the first 3 race weekends but are making a charge for top 3 in National. We have two more weekends end of March to make it.

Attachments

• RJH Peterborough1.jpg
    RJH Peterborough1.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Leading 340 Peterborough Final.jpg
    Leading 340 Peterborough Final.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Jim Adema Memorial  1976_edited-1.jpg
    Jim Adema Memorial 1976_edited-1.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 9
  • leading 440 - 75.jpg
    leading 440 - 75.jpg