Adding grease zert how to /video pics..

2strokinit

Okay I got some pics and small vid of adding grease zerts to the SRX case and speedo side beariing. I need some place to host them. Id search the net but Im sure there a billgillion places..prefer advice from someone already using a certain site with good results, prefer free, but lkm anyhow.

What works for me is using a needle greaser insert it in between the seal lip and inner race of the bearing and just give it a pump or two,can be done with any roller bearing in the skid too,,i grease every year pto and axle bearings speedo side,just takes minutes to do.

Needle greaser

Im sure needle greaser works also. I went zerk so it forces the grease into the bearing and I dont have to pull the cover. But the case side you can get to unless pull some stuff off. The case mod fixes that issue. I have added a zert to the upper bearing on the case but I dont think this is necessary becasue it doesnt see the water/snow like the two lower bearings.
The needle greaser is a great tip/technique though.

2strokinit - do you remove the "outside" rubber ring from the bearing and install it back into the axle without it?

I ask because I just pulled all of my skid wheel bearings, and each had the rubber disk on both sides. I popped them both out, soaked and blew the bearings with air, and repacked. Then I put the disks back in, and reinstall. Takes five minutes per...

I do this every year and got 7000 miles on my last sled on the original bearings.

I like the idea of greasable axle bearings. Is this applicable to the Viper ?

2strokinit said:
Im sure needle greaser works also. I went zerk so it forces the grease into the bearing and I dont have to pull the cover. But the case side you can get to unless pull some stuff off. The case mod fixes that issue. I have added a zert to the upper bearing on the case but I dont think this is necessary becasue it doesnt see the water/snow like the two lower bearings.
The needle greaser is a great tip/technique though.
i could be wrong, but couldnt this hydraulicly force the seal on the inside of the tunnel to pop out due to over greasing? just a thought.

Seals

Could you blow out the seals, certainly, thats why I suggest never using a power greaser. I tested with a hand grease gun and no issues. You only need a couple good steady, slow pumps. I also suggest leaving the gun inside to warm the grease and once you get case, with the gear still off grease the bearing via the new zert and watch until just a hint of grease starts to seep out. I have some older bearings, maybe Ill trying blowing out the seals just to see how hard it would be.
The seal needs to come off, just like the photo shows. I havent ever dealt with a viper, sorry. Id guess though they are very similar since you can use the reverse gears out of a Viper in a SRX.
The bearing inside the case only has one seal ((SRX)) so there is no need to do anything but add grease porting.

blew the bearings with air, and repacked
Yamaha warns to never used compressed air to blow out bearings, prolly becasue the air could spin the bearings so fast it damages them. Just FYI.

Last edited:
srxeater said:
i could be wrong, but couldnt this hydraulicly force the seal on the inside of the tunnel to pop out due to over greasing? just a thought.
this wouldn't happen because the seal between the speedo cover and the tunnel is not that tight. so i think once the cavity in the speedo cover fills
with grease and gets in the bearing it would work it's way out between
the cover and tunnel.

daman said:
this wouldn't happen because the seal between the speedo cover and the tunnel is not that tight. so i think once the cavity in the speedo cover fills
with grease and gets in the bearing it would work it's way out between
the cover and tunnel.

That is a good thought. I wonder if this would work though. It would make life easier especially if you own more than one sled.

I am in the process of repacking all my bearing and looking at these updates. I do like the quick grease app idea....

j_k_auto said:
That is a good thought. I wonder if this would work though. It would make life easier especially if you own more than one sled.

I am in the process of repacking all my bearing and looking at these updates. I do like the quick grease app idea....
i think it would yes but any extra will just seep it's way out like i said make
a mess over time?? dunno.

this needs to be added to tech area instead of double posting it... also a little more information ....that it is the bottom bearing ,where the hole is drilled ? 3 o`clock or 3 o`clock position it looks like ? 5/32 drill bit and 1/4-20 tap correct ? great post tho i am making a cable reverse case and i am thinking about doing this but need a little more info ....thanks

Alright

Ill add some more Info on photobucket and to tech section if it makes it.

Installed

Here is the case with it installed. I smothered it in loctite so it wouldnt turn, you could install on of those extended zerts because there is plenty of room to go outwards, believe it or not.
COULD install a pipe fitting and manage a line to run it some where more accessible....

Attachments

• grease sert2.jpg
    grease sert2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
And why would I want to grease the case bearing? doesn't It get plenty of lube now!

No

Umm have you ever changed the lower case bearing? The seal on the bearing goes toward the gears, supposedly a small amount of oil wicks by but I fail to see how it could be enough. Also the grease would fill the cavity ((keep it full)) and help it shed water from getting by the drive seal. The lower bearings always fail 1st, in fact they are the only ones Ive had issues with, prolly because they see the harshest environment.

No I have never changed the lower chaincase bearing( on a yamaha). Never needed to. I have 4 yamahas and none of them have seals on the bearings facing the gears! What I do have though is 15000 miles on em and they never have seen grease! I must have the indestructable models. and also how does the grease get into the bearing? if gearlube cant find its way in to the sealed bearing, how does grease? If your having problems with bearing failure..Maybe you need to pop them seals off so they do get lubed !

Last edited:
Yammi's

Have either one seen wot..?? Both SRX's Ive owned need the lower bearings changed out and the speedo side was getting ragged. I would discuss the issue but read the thread instead of taking 2mins and thinking you have it all figured out THEN ask questions.
I could probably run across our interstate with my eyes closed on a busy day and prolly survive a few trips, but what for when I can ensure a safer route.

Back