Adding grease zert how to /video pics..

I could see doing something with the speedo bearing, but chain case? If you service your chain case every season and use a quality oil why would you grease? What kind of mess does this make when you purge the old grease out of the bearing. You are going to purge the old grease every season? I see no other manufacturers greasing chain cases. Maybe if you made WOT runs up and down lake Winnebago day after day, but by then you will have many other problems. Even in that case I would say change the oil more often. Is greasing the chain case bearing a bad idea, maybe not. Is it needed, I would say it's not worth the effort. sorry my 2c.

Well

Have you ever seen the amount of grease Yamaha puts in those bearings? The bearing has a seal on one side, so what exactly holds the grease in, mind power? Why would you need to purge out the old grease, simply give the zert 3 pumps and your done, repacked. Sure some of it will be inside the case but I doubt the tiny bit of grease will hurt anything. What the hell good does changing the oil help? The only bearing that gets any real oil from the case in the bearing installed in the cover, other than that it benefits only the chain and gears.
Do you have a basic understanding of the case setup to be giving 2cents...Im not trying to be a prick but investigate first then reply, at least then your reply will have a bit of knowledge to back it up.

Instead of shooting down an idea guys, how about we make constructive posts.

The only negative I see from doing either side is the potential for the in-experienced to push the seals out of the bearings with too much grease.

From the factory, the lower chaincase bearing is sealed on the oil side(right) and open on the drive cog(left) side, relying on the lip seal on the driveshaft to keep water out of that cavity.

If you've never had this bearing fail or wear out, then thats great. There are an equal number of people that will say the opposite.

2strokinit I see you do not take criticism well. I may have misspoken partially, for that I can apologize. I can see that greasing the chain case bearing may not be a bad idea. Let me explain to you grease purging. Lets take for instance a U-joint, u-joints are bombarded by the worst elements, they need to be greased on a regular basis. (the grease able ones) When you grease u-joints you purge them of old grease, water, salt, dirt. Properly done your u-joint is left with relatively clean grease. The same theory holds true when you repack the bearings on your snowmobile trailer, it's just a little more labor intensive. Now if you pump grease in, old grease has to go some where. If you are not purging the bearing, what's the point? If you pump grease between the chain case seal and the outside seal of the bearing where is the old grease going to go? If the grease isn't purging past the outside of the bearing who's to say that your getting much grease into the bearing? Who's to say that it isn't by passing the bearing and going past the chain case seal and into the chain case? I like the theory of your design, I'd just hate to see you pump your chain case full of dirty grease.

I might as well chime in here. I just changed tracks on my 98 no doubt it had the original bearings in it, never serviced 4000 miles. The speedo side was full of rust and had turned on the shaft. This greese conversion would have saved that bearing probably even if it was only filled with greese when it was installed. (my opinion) The case side was also rough enough that I replaced it. Yes the one seal was on the oil side. I understand this is to avoid damage from the metal filings in the oil. I saw proof that not enough oil seeps through that seal to make the bearing last forever anyway. I think the greese idea is a good one. Will I do it, probably not. I'd be a little concerned about pushing out the seal into the chain case and make my chain case leak. But that's just me, I'm not doubting it would work. I think maybe next time I'd just fill that cavaty with greese when assebling it and I think it would last until next time I had it apart for some other reason. That's my 2cents. Thanks 2strokin for trying to help us out for free ;)!

racerdan said:
Now if you pump grease in, old grease has to go some where. If you are not purging the bearing, what's the point? If you pump grease between the chain case seal and the outside seal of the bearing where is the old grease going to go? If the grease isn't purging past the outside of the bearing who's to say that your getting much grease into the bearing? Who's to say that it isn't by passing the bearing and going past the chain case seal and into the chain case? I like the theory of your design, I'd just hate to see you pump your chain case full of dirty grease.
I don't think we're dealing with dirty greese here. Just putting in enough to keep the cavaty and bearing full, no need to purge old grease out. Extra greese either goes out toward the track or into the chain case through the bearing seal. the trick is not ot over grease. (again in my opinion)

Good

Some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, that I can deal with.Like 700 said IM not trying to put in new grease, just keep it greased. I tried blowing out the seal with a hand grease gun but couldn't do it.
The drive seal wont let the grease by, have a look at its construction ((unless damaged)), it WILL be the bearing seal that does. Ive did both my SRX's and greased them before adding gears, no grease came out of track side.
Blowing out the seal really isnt a worry of mine because I take my grease gun inside to warm it and the garage is fairly warm 50 ish and Like I said I tried to be with grease being room temp it was no issue.
If the chaincase was filled trannyfluid and you pushed the seal out, it wont be long before a puddle of red fluid was seen, IMO.

Free is the best price ;)!

Last edited:
This discussion has been good. I only bring up the purging thought because every bearing that I've greased has allowed the old grease to exit. You seem to have done some testing and found what would work for you. Our opinions may be slightly different but the Idea is still good. Thanks for posting your work.

daman said:
this wouldn't happen because the seal between the speedo cover and the tunnel is not that tight. so i think once the cavity in the speedo cover fills
with grease and gets in the bearing it would work it's way out between
the cover and tunnel.

If you add the zert to the speedo cover, should you remove the bearing seal inbetween the cover and the bearing?

2strokinit said:
Some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, that I can deal with.Like 700 said IM not trying to put in new grease, just keep it greased. I tried blowing out the seal with a hand grease gun but couldn't do it.
The drive seal wont let the grease by, have a look at its construction ((unless damaged)), it WILL be the bearing seal that does. Ive did both my SRX's and greased them before adding gears, no grease came out of track side.
Blowing out the seal really isnt a worry of mine because I take my grease gun inside to warm it and the garage is fairly warm 50 ish and Like I said I tried to be with grease being room temp it was no issue.
If the chaincase was filled trannyfluid and you pushed the seal out, it wont be long before a puddle of red fluid was seen, IMO.

Free is the best price ;)!

So let me this right. If you over grease it the great will enter the chaincase and not go out to the cogs?

I thought for sure it would come out toward the cogs.:o|

Great idea. Here is something to consider. On the chaincase side there is no seal between the driveshaft and inner race of the lower bearing. For this reason I assume chaincase oil can make its way between the inner bearing race and axle to the backside of the bearing and sit between the bearing and seal in the tunnel (this is the seal on the inside of the tunnel facing the drive cogs). I would say this is what lubricates the bottom bearing. To compare if you look at the jackshaft there is a collar that goes between the top bearing and disc brake. This collar has a rubber seal on the inside that keeps your chaicase oil from leaking between the collar and jackshaft.

I think the zerks are a great idea, my only concern would be how the grease would react with the chaincase oil. I have had 2 SRX's and put over 15,000 kms on both. I have replaced many clutch side drive axle bearings but never a chaincase one. Just my experience though. Great post.

Last edited:
Grease

clutch side drive axle bearings
^^ in this case you could grease and watch when the grease just started bleeding past the seal. You would be able to see this side no problem from below.

Back