how to do a proper warm up

06raptorgirl

hey guys!

went on my first two rides recently and the sled is running great. since my quad is a four stroke efi, it's pretty simple to warm up. as for the two stroke, i have no idea. i tried doing a search on the site and also on google, but there is no definite threads/answers on what to do that strictly talks about a yamaha triple.

i'm mainly curious how to properly warm up the sled because i don't want to foul a plug. it seems if i just let it sit and idle for 5 min it will just smoke and smoke until it fouls a plug? no? just looking to get some proper info! thanks everyone

your fat on your idle circuit, i let mine idle until i feel the rear heat exchanger start to get warm

its fine to let it idle and warm up. when you start giving it throttle before it has a chance to get heat in the pipes is when youll foul plugs. when i start mine i dont ever touch the throttle, i choke it untill it starts and will idle than turn off choke and then just let it idle for a couple minutes while i put my gear on.

I don't like to let 2 strokes idle for more than 4-5 minutes because they will load up eventually, it is there nature. Just take it easy for the first few minutes riding

Newer 2-strokes are a lot more tolerant to longer idle periods . . .

My Viper can sit and idle for over 30 minutes without loading up, my boy proved it. However the old JDX would foul a plug if you let it idle for more than 30 seconds.

06raptorgirl said:
thanks! appreciate it. it will sit and idle steadily, so i'll start putting my gear on then like you guys do
Nice sled btw. I love mine. I'll love it even more when I get a track that isnt shot ;)

thanks! i'm having a blast riding mine. first sled i've ever driven actually lol. my boyfriend had a xcr 800 and recently found a deal on a 2003 f7 sno pro with 418 miles (with title, got it for 3k...i know, what a deal) but he alwaysss says how much he loves my vmax. he loves the low center of gravity and says how it handles awesome. of course, his suspension is a million times better

Ding said:
Newer 2-strokes are a lot more tolerant to longer idle periods . . .

My Viper can sit and idle for over 30 minutes without loading up, my boy proved it. However the old JDX would foul a plug if you let it idle for more than 30 seconds.
Your boyfriend is a dimwit. Next time he lets your sled idle for that long punch him! Your engine is not being cooled sitting there for that long, and is a dangerous thing to do.
I blip the throttle on mine while it's warming up. Keeps the engine running cleanly.

i assumed that guy was talking about his son, not boyfriend. maybe the kid went inside and forgot he started it? that was my guess. but who knows, i'm new to all of this sled stuff lol

dwarf717 said:
Your boyfriend is a dimwit. Next time he lets your sled idle for that long punch him! Your engine is not being cooled sitting there for that long, and is a dangerous thing to do.
I blip the throttle on mine while it's warming up. Keeps the engine running cleanly.
no need to call anybody a dimwit their cupcake, im sure Ding has forgot more than youll ever know ;)!

06raptorgirl said:
i assumed that guy was talking about his son, not boyfriend. maybe the kid went inside and forgot he started it? that was my guess. but who knows, i'm new to all of this sled stuff lol
LOL! I see that now! DUH........
Next time your boy pulls a stunt like that, kick his arse

Dwarf, just letting you know, you really aren't making any friends with comments like that. I have been following your quotes and some are real disturbing. This site is here to help each other, not talk down or abuse people. Maybe you should read your post's and rethink before replying. ????????????
Al

06raptorgirl said:
Yah, the boy was my son. They were using the light from my Viper to work on another sled. He did pack the running boards with snow like he had seen me do previously and he watched for the warning light, so I guess maybe he is at least one step ahead of dimwit. I on the other hand am pretty much an idiot. But I am okay with that.

Never touch the throttle to warm up a Yamaha. choke on and off to keep it running. If it is wicked cold <10 you dont want to sit and idle real long, but you you want to baby the sled for 3-5 miles no matter what the temp. I had a 94 VMAX with 13,500 miles on it and only replaced the pistons at the 10,000 mile mark cause the dealer was telling me i was flirting with piston skirt breakage. Slow easy warm-ups are tough to remember on cold nights after a beer or 2 in the bar, but thats when they are most important

I let my sled idle for 15 min then lightly drive it for another 10 min. You should not worry about loading up because it's oil injected, you don't get as much oil when it's idling compared to wide open. I own bikes that I premixed at 25-1 and they idle for 2.5 min before starting to load up. The oilpump on our sleds is prob only giving 100-1 at idle

kozal01 said:
its fine to let it idle and warm up. when you start giving it throttle before it has a chance to get heat in the pipes is when youll foul plugs. when i start mine i dont ever touch the throttle, i choke it untill it starts and will idle than turn off choke and then just let it idle for a couple minutes while i put my gear on.

X2 ;)! Never had a problem since I read a similar post on here. I don't hit the throttle and never foul a plug.

Back