how to do a proper warm up

Ding said:
Newer 2-strokes are a lot more tolerant to longer idle periods . . .

My Viper can sit and idle for over 30 minutes without loading up, my boy proved it. However the old JDX would foul a plug if you let it idle for more than 30 seconds.

Bluemonster2 said:
I let my sled idle for 15 min then lightly drive it for another 10 min. You should not worry about loading up because it's oil injected, you don't get as much oil when it's idling compared to wide open. I own bikes that I premixed at 25-1 and they idle for 2.5 min before starting to load up. The oilpump on our sleds is prob only giving 100-1 at idle

This is good info for me. Having been around finicky 2 strokes for years I have always been nervous about letting them idle very long. i guess I'm kind of old school. Now maybe I can relax a little and take my time getting ready. I still think it's good to take it easy for the first mile or so during the first ride on a cold day. Not only does it give the engine time to warm up, but also all those other cold parts. Like belts, tracks, shocks, spindles, bearings.......

This can also be applied to other motorized vehicles like your truck or car. You push the oil past your seals if you push a cold engine to hard when it's cold or snap a cold metal part in your drivetrain. Ask me how I know

I like to get it going until it idles good without the choke, finish my smoke, and then ride it easy for the first couple klicks. 15 minutes of idling is not needed. lol.

I just want to add that if you keep your carbs nice and clean you will have no problem letting an srx idle and warm up for at least 20-25 min. Of course you need either a real real cold night or do as ding says and pack the running boards with snow.(I like to do this a lot while im riding on warm days to help keep my feet and the sled cool. Plus it helps wash away that black crap that seems to come from under you seat.) The first second you get an opening you can hammer on the throttle a bit a look at the blue cloud behind you and that should clean the cylinders right out.

are you guys storing your sleds outside? seem like alot of people are talking acting like they dont want to idle off of choke that easy... my vmax540 and my vmax4 both only require choke for the first 10 secs at the most... of course they are usually started in the garage... i then ride real slow for 2 laps around the yard, probably 1/2 mile... and then blip the throttle for 2 more laps... then shes ready to rip....

Netefrog said:
I like to get it going until it idles good without the choke, finish my smoke, and then ride it easy for the first couple klicks. 15 minutes of idling is not needed. lol.

Well maybe 10-15 depending on how long it takes to gear up. No harm done doing it this way. I let my bikes run for 8-10 bliping the throttle then take it easy til the pipe is hot. My sled gets to warm up fully before I start pinning it, after 5 min the jugs are just barely getting warm on a -20 day, will it blow if I take off after 5 min? probably not but will it last longer with a longer warm up especially on cold days.

my sx700r like to start on half or full choke and run there for about 1-2 minutes then i can shut off but any sooner it will die. then i can flip the choke off and let it idle while i throw on my helmet and goggles and gloves. but yep once the heat exchanger is WARM to the touch its ready

What I always do on my 97 with 7600 miles on her :) Is fire it up, put my gear on, make sure the heat exchanger is warm to the touch, and then take it easy on her for a little while, then just give her hell. These sleds love to get up and run. Even after owning my own 07 Apex Mtn 4 stroke, it's still a blast to go back to that redhead triple and let her scream. Enjoy your sled, they are amazing and last forever if taken care of. Safe riding!!

Ding said:
Yah, the boy was my son. They were using the light from my Viper to work on another sled. He did pack the running boards with snow like he had seen me do previously and he watched for the warning light, so I guess maybe he is at least one step ahead of dimwit. I on the other hand am pretty much an idiot. But I am okay with that.

You are a class act Ding. I'm not sure I'd have been as nice to a response that proves the old addage that sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut than to open it and remove all doubt.

FWIW - Wiseco owners are well aware of long warm up periods. I don't own any anymore but when I did, I got into the habit of being the first one out of watering hole and suited up outside with sled running.

As for the OP - Depending on the ambient temp, a 3-10 minute warm up cycle is just fine and as Chevy suggested, once the heat exchangers show some warmth, you're good to go. IMO - criusing slow for the first 1-2 miles allows the rotating gear to warm up also. Aftert that let 'er rip.

I understand the importance of warming up your yammy, but the way I think, if it was REALLY important to warm up to a certain temperature they would have a temp gauge on them? When parked outside, my viper needs full choke to start, half choke to idle a couple minutes, then I strap on my helmet and gloves and ease it out of town. Lucky for me, we are allowed to ride the most direct route out. So about 4 minutes after I get on, its good to go. The track, belt, bearings and everything else is "warmed" a little also by then.

thanks for all of the help everyone! much appreciated. turned out to be a great thread and hopefully helped some others as well.

Wisecos in my 780 srx motor. It doesn't move until the thermostat opens and the last cooler is warm and water temp shows 110 on my gauge. When I was putting the motor together the first time the guy that did the piston/cylinder updates told me that it shouldn't move until it was warmed up good. I've seen what other 780 motors look like when they don't follow this advice. 4 years on mine no issues. It can sit and idle all day as long as it doesn't overheat:) Guys/Girls I ride with sometimes get a little perturbed waiting for it to come up to temp (god is it slow), but once they ride it they are more accepting.

choke mine and start it on the dollies in the garage, by the time its wheeled to the edge of the yard I turn the choke off and let it idle while I put my gear on, two laps slow around the yard and she's good to go!!!

I usually let it warm up at least 5 min for 0 degrees to -15. If its -16 to -40 out I let it warm up for a good 15min then try to move it and see how it goes, if its sluggish Ill let it idle a bit longer. Then just take it easy for a bit, but honestly its always going to be better to let it warm up, going nuts on a cold engine with cold exhaust is not good period... I usually even let my grizz warm up for at least 5 min in winter, but they tend to just stall out if their not ready yet... its a 2012 700 so yes its FI

alswagg said:
Dwarf, just letting you know, you really aren't making any friends with comments like that. I have been following your quotes and some are real disturbing. This site is here to help each other, not talk down or abuse people. Maybe you should read your post's and rethink before replying. ????????????
Al

...and it was his son. If you have any kids, you would TOTALLY get that a kid would do that...

Back