What HELIX can I use in my 01 srx for MrVipers clutch setup??

b2001srx

I've got the 8dn-20s loaded with 4.5 rivets
Www primary spring
Green secondary spring

Just need to know what helix's are good with this setup. Will the steep helix angles make me lose the snappy throttle response or make me lose some acceleration?

Last edited:

Mostly big open fields and make a few weekend trips to the trails. Is there specific brand/make that works better with the setup?

I really like the stock apex helix in warm temps and a bender 51/45 when it got cold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSTYER do you lose any of the snappy throttle response using the 54/46?

No she gets up and goes, I changed to a Hauck Orange Spring, higher engagement. Haven't had enough snow to test that yet

Mostly big open fields and make a few weekend trips to the trails. Is there specific brand/make that works better with the setup?

so you just ride around in a big circle all day in a field?? Just use a 51/45. Its good all around, the 54/46 is more of a drag race lake race type set up, it will upshift very aggressively and the backshift is about the same as stock,works great in wide open running. The 51/45 will back shift better then stock. Youll find the dalton helixs to be consistant in thier angles and have a nice smooth cut/transition. When you use other companys helixs like bender,maxx,hauck and other coded helixs for 1 you dont know what angle your really using and you will get differnt results and rpm.
the guy who swapped in a hauck orange, well that spring is alot differnt then just engagement speed so he will change not only his engagement speed but also his shift rpm as its way stiffer spring then the w/w/w yamaha. This is why you see guys with differnt results because they dont use the entire set up.

when its warm out your not making full engine power so thats why it seems doggy because the engine is loaded more then stock, you can either jet the engine down or just ride when its cold out/normal winter temps. There is no such clutch set up that works when cold,when warm, for every differnt kind of riding, you set up your sled for what you do 90% of the time, set it u for the 10% and youll not be very happy with the results 90% of the time!

these clutch set ups are for the 2000-02 srx, the 98-99 can use them but your helix will need to be slightly smaller in angles due to the engine not being as strong.

1.)loaded 8dn 20's with w/w/w spring, 51/45 helix with green sec spring is for all around riding, it will upshift faster then stock making the sled get up to speed faster and more aggressively and it will backshift better then stock due to the finish angle being slightly shallower then the stock straight 47 helix.( if you want it slightly more "revvy" in the woods use the stock y/w/y primary spring)

2.)loaded 8dn 20's with w/w/w/ spring and 54/46 helix with green sec spring is for drag racing and wide open lake type riding, its very aggressive upshift will NOT be something you want in tight woods trails, its backshift is about comaprable to the stock helix with only 1 degree shallower. Its about as aggressive as you can be with the 8dn20 weights.( if you want it slightly more revy feeling use the stock y/w/y primary spring)

use known helix angles and a preferred brand is a dalton due to thats what i have tested with and used for the set ups, anytime you change or dont use all of the componets you will come up with differnt results, much like a cake recipe... leave out a couple of the ingrediants and you might not get a cake when you open the oven door!

the guy who swapped in a hauck orange, well that spring is alot differnt then just engagement speed so he will change not only his engagement speed but also his shift rpm as its way stiffer spring then the w/w/w yamaha. This is why you see guys with differnt results because they dont use the entire set up.

I haven't tested yet, Will this spring work with the setup I have or go back to the WWW spring? I am running your loaded 8dn20 set up with a 54/46

these clutch set ups are for the 2000-02 srx, the 98-99 can use them but your helix will need to be slightly smaller in angles due to the engine not being as strong.

1.)loaded 8dn 20's with w/w/w spring, 51/45 helix with green sec spring is for all around riding, it will upshift faster then stock making the sled get up to speed faster and more aggressively and it will backshift better then stock due to the finish angle being slightly shallower then the stock straight 47 helix.( if you want it slightly more "revvy" in the woods use the stock y/w/y primary spring)

2.)loaded 8dn 20's with w/w/w/ spring and 54/46 helix with green sec spring is for drag racing and wide open lake type riding, its very aggressive upshift will NOT be something you want in tight woods trails, its backshift is about comaprable to the stock helix with only 1 degree shallower. Its about as aggressive as you can be with the 8dn20 weights.( if you want it slightly more revy feeling use the stock y/w/y primary spring)

use known helix angles and a preferred brand is a dalton due to thats what i have tested with and used for the set ups, anytime you change or dont use all of the componets you will come up with differnt results, much like a cake recipe... leave out a couple of the ingrediants and you might not get a cake when you open the oven door!

Thank you MrViper for the book full of knowledge!!

Hi Guys newb here. Are the helix's mentioned stock Yamaha parts? Or off a certian year sled? Thanks

no, they are aftermarket helix, you can buy them from Dalton or bender, or hauck, etc. Check with ulmer racing he had a good deal on new helixs a bit ago.

Thanks for the info. Also thanks Mr viper for the information you give to the page it's very helpful and much appreciated!

Back