Turbo Vmax600?

I've heard this as well, a mechanic from a dealer around where I ride mentioned it to me and that a turboed Vmax 600 was his favorite sled. If you find any info about turbo kits for em, post it up!

I believe its because they were a pison port design. for the same reason the Cat 580 was a good turbo candidate too

there was kits made for them....i found out yesterday. Dyno Tech did some testing with one.....i need the sheets for this because im seriously looking into turbo for my sled.

Does anyone have info?

RE:"I believe its because they were a pison port design. for the same reason the Cat 580 was a good turbo candidate too"

The 600 is a reed motor. The Exciter was piston port. From what I remember...The 600 turbo used a 500 cdi box, diff exhaust pipe. Made around 130ish hp.

RE:"I believe its because they were a pison port design. for the same reason the Cat 580 was a good turbo candidate too"

The 600 is a reed motor. The Exciter was piston port. From what I remember...The 600 turbo used a 500 cdi box, diff exhaust pipe. Made around 130ish hp.

dont know where my mind was wondering....

130 hp doesn't seam like much by todays standards

Pulled out my old paper work just to check info.
Vmax 600 turbo kit $3295. 128N250 turbo 135~165hp depending on octane & boost. So 130ish is about max for for pump prem fuel.

Have one high boost race fuel dyno sheet shows 156.1hp 105.8tq @ 7750rpm.
I'd keep the motor stock and just bolt the kit on. The gain from 100cc would not be worth the money. Plus at high boost you want to keep fresh pistons in the motor. Big bore pistons every year $$$.

Another dyno sheet Vmax 600 real high boost, 114 oct race fuel, hand made intercooler, 200+hp.

Last edited:
Found more old stuff.
Turbo 600 with pump prem fuel
boost / tq / hp / rpm
7psi / 89 / 131 / 7750

9psi / 99 / 141 / 7500 (100LLAV fuel)

12.5 / 107 / 162 / 7900 (110 race fuel)

email sent

sounds pretty neat. toydoc, who made the kit and do they still make the kit? aerocharger is no more, right? what have you got on your cat?

I am in testing stages; 97 600SX with a aerocharger turbo.....Hold onto your hat boys cause this one really goes. I am running lower boost right now at about 10 psi. But I have to change to external drivers on the track cause its ratcheting on the stock drivers, even after tightening the track. I also had to find monster flyweights to bring down the rpm.....lots of torque.

They are a grin to ride for sure. If your running the areocharger kit for the 600 with the 128N250 turbo. At 10psi of boost it would be in the high boost range with 100LLAV or better fuel. 6~7 psi would be low boost pump prem fuel. After 11~12 psi of boost the trubo makes to much heat from over speed. If drag racing, you will get one really fast run, go back to the line and then run slower, and slower...until you let things cool off. Add a intercooler will help, or switch the turbo to a 143N300.

I have the american snowmobiler shootout mag with the old 600sx aerocharged :) it was fast for sure!

Hey Toydoc sounds like you have had first hand experience running aerocharger turbos! I haven't seen the need for an intercooler running in -20 Celcius, but I suppose on many repeated runs it would benefit from one. I was running C-12 race gas and I'm going to try running 14 psi. This is 500-600 foot drags only.

yep, I have done a few and a quad. Still have 2 areochagers sleds. Sounds like you got the right setup, C-12 and 14psi. I also run Wiseco pistons with that high of boost. One thing I did see with the turbo sleds, the spark plugs would loosen up at the end of a hard run. Thats a sign of deto so you would need to add better fuel. So keep a eye on how tight your plugs are.

The turbo sleds are a pain to clutch right on. With out the intercooler it's even more of a problem. The intercooler can droped the intake temp from over 200 degrees to just over 100 degrees. Thats good for about another 20hp on a turbo sled. Back in 1997 Joe Weber in NY had a turbo sled just like yours. I think they made over 200hp with the intercooler and 16 psi of boost.

I am running Wiseco pistons with ceramic coated domes. I blew a head gasket last March but it wasn't a Yamaha part so I will try the factory one now.
Your right about the clutching, last winter we were getting close on the full shift RPM and getting the engagement into the boost range, but it takes time.
I haven't noticed any plug issues but I will watch for that.....thanks for the heads up.
Do you have or know which intercoolers that will work with this application as Aerocharger dosen't exist anymore.

Back