Srx pipes on viper engine

journeyman said:
I haven't done any of this but I have read about it. Betheviper did this setup and running a SRX cdi is one key to make it work with the SRX pipes but I believe their becomes some issues being the Viper has a different gauge module (digital) vs. the SRX which runs an analog gauge setup.

My gauges all still work fine with the SRX CDI

WNYViper said:
My gauges all still work fine with the SRX CDI

OK, maybe I heard wrong.

How much cutting and welding are required to make them fit in the Viper chassis? Are the 98-99 pipes the same as the 00-02 pipes?

journeyman said:
OK, maybe I heard wrong.

How much cutting and welding are required to make them fit in the Viper chassis? Are the 98-99 pipes the same as the 00-02 pipes?

not much cutting and fitting, just fabricating the adapters is the tricky part... 00-02 Pipes are better for the swap than the earlier ones.

Hmm this would be a fun project. I was so turned off by the scenerio I had with the CPR pipes I ran for a half a season I told myself never again and have stayed stock since. I have been toying recently of seeing if I can find a set of JAWS pipes for my Viper. They are very rare in the states though. I have heard of some Canada riders running them with great results and no burndown issues. I would like to try them with a Peak head being it has the water bypass on it for the carbs. Occasionally I have had to use the carb heaters when I run in the UP with alot of snowdust.

journeyman said:
Hmm this would be a fun project. I was so turned off by the scenerio I had with the CPR pipes I ran for a half a season I told myself never again and have stayed stock since. I have been toying recently of seeing if I can find a set of JAWS pipes for my Viper. They are very rare in the states though. I have heard of some Canada riders running them with great results and no burndown issues. I would like to try them with a Peak head being it has the water bypass on it for the carbs. Occasionally I have had to use the carb heaters when I run in the UP with alot of snowdust.

Whats a new set from Jaws run? I havent heard much on them myself...

Last edited:
journeyman said:

This is why I want the srx pipes....If I do this I will make a working log. My install has to be clean kinda like a oem fit so we will see how things go...

Oh btw the jaws only bring you extra 22+ hp...just figured I would let you know.

j_k_auto said:
This is why I want the srx pipes....If I do this I will make a working log. My install has to be clean kinda like a oem fit so we will see how things go...

Oh btw the jaws only bring you extra 22+ hp...just figured I would let you know.

thing is, that's probably real world numbers. other manufacturers like to give big hp claims. don't always get so caught up in hp claims. go off of what others have noticed in the real world/out in the field.

mopar1rules said:
thing is, that's probably real world numbers. other manufacturers like to give big hp claims. don't always get so caught up in hp claims. go off of what others have noticed in the real world/out in the field.

I understand....That is what there web site says.... Just figured I would throw that out there.... ;)!

yes I knew the Jaws only claim 22-23 HP. I did talk to one person from Canada a few years ago on here that had a couple friends that piped their Vipers. One did the Benders by their setup and another did the Jaws by their setup and the Jaws one was faster even though the Bender pipes claimed bigger HP numbers. I called Jaws today and got no answer so I sent them an e-mail. They replied back within a few hours and said......"unfortunately because we claimed lower HP numbers we never sold very many sets. Even though ours claimed lower numbers we feel they were the best pipes out there. The owner of the company at the time ran 2 Vipers with his pipes and experienced zero burndown issues and they put 10,000 miles on both machines."

Now here is the bad part. Yes they still have some but they are $1249.00 and $65 to ship them to the states. At first I thought......must be Canadian dollars, but I did specify to give me the price in US Dollars. I just looked at the exchange rate and we are within peanuts of being at a 1 to 1 ratio with Canada Dollars as of today. As we speak 1 Canada Dollar = 1.0069 US Dollars

yeh the SLP non ceramic coated pipes are $915 on their website. I know there are several of those out there that can be bought for less too.

The CPR's I ran sounded nice, not too loud I just didn't care for them on a stock 700 engine. They run really good on a 780BB though. A friend had the one in my avatar a few years ago which the engine was done by Madmatt. That thing ripped but eventually it broke the bottom piston skirt and smoked the motor pretty bad. He ended up finding a cool Price Performance motor up in Brainerd, MN for $1500 that was a 700SX triple bottom end with a SeaDoo top end at 900cc's. Jeff Fischer customized the pipes to fit in the Viper chassis and messed around with the wiring harness to get everything working but once it was done that thing was an animal. It dynoed close to 200 HP on pump gas. Kip from Pat's Yamaha in Greenland, MI is now the proud owner of it. If you ever stop in ask him about it. It has an Eckholm tunnel, AD Boiven rear skid at 136" and a 1.5 inch Challenger track, C&A skis and a Boss seat. Cool sled.

Yeah I know pat @ pat's yamaha. Stop in there whenever I'm around riding in that area. I also got along w/his son chad real well. His son kip tho, can have a "chip" in his *** at times tho. Anyhow, I'll have to ask him about that sled the next time I'm in there. Chad showed me his srx mod sled that he used in snowcross years ago. I remember watching him race that thing. He was good buds w/dean from sheboygan yamaha, who I bought my old srx from and r1 bike.

mopar1rules said:
Yeah I know pat @ pat's yamaha. Stop in there whenever I'm around riding in that area. I also got along w/his son chad real well. His son kip tho, can have a "chip" in his *** at times tho. Anyhow, I'll have to ask him about that sled the next time I'm in there. Chad showed me his srx mod sled that he used in snowcross years ago. I remember watching him race that thing. He was good buds w/dean from sheboygan yamaha, who I bought my old srx from and r1 bike.

Actually we have rented Pat's cabin (The one in the photo behind the gas pay counter) for the last 6 or 7 years. We dropped out this year because a few guys couldn't go, so it was down to two. I know Chad who now runs the other dealership by the bridge in Hancock. My neighbor accross the street is from Hancock, went the Mich. Tech and is friends with Chad. Yeh last year Kip and Pat were getting too political for my taste when we were up there. I like those guys alot but don't care for that stuff. Not good for business if you know what I mean.

I think the guys I have ridden with up there have bought about 5 sleds from them too while we were there. Last year Kip picked up a 2010 Apex LTX in black from Yamaha R&D that had 1700 miles on it and was mint that he offered me for $8900. It was a smoking good deal. I called the wife and of course I got the big NO......so we left and went for a 1 hour ride. the wife called back and said.....go ahead and buy it. When I got back to Pat's it was sold.

Sorry for getting off topic.........

Last edited:
journeyman said:
Actually we have rented Pat's cabin (The one in the photo behind the gas pay counter) for the last 6 or 7 years. We dropped out this year because a few guys couldn't go, so it was down to two. I know Chad who now runs the other dealership by the bridge in Hancock. My neighbor accross the street is from Hancock, went the Mich. Tech and is friends with Chad. Yeh last year Kip and Pat were getting too political for my taste when we were up there. I like those guys alot but don't care for that stuff. Not good for business if you know what I mean.

I think the guys I have ridden with up there have bought about 5 sleds from them too while we were there. Last year Kip picked up a 2010 Apex LTX in black from Yamaha R&D that had 1700 miles on it and was mint that he offered me for $8900. It was a smoking good deal. I called the wife and of course I got the big NO......so we left and went for a 1 hour ride. the wife called back and said.....go ahead and buy it. When I got back to Pat's it was sold.

Sorry for getting off topic.........

yeah, chad run's M&M powersports in hancock. he's nice. my buddy had to rent a crossfire 600 from him, when he ran his 440x rev tight one weekend. that thing was a pile. sucked the whole oil tank down in 87 miles!! yeah, sorry for getting off of topic.

Back