Srx pipes on viper engine

Getting back to the origianl subject. Has anyone tried running aftermarket pipes on a Viper but used a SRX ignition? Just curious if that would work.

journeyman said:
Getting back to the origianl subject. Has anyone tried running aftermarket pipes on a Viper but used a SRX ignition? Just curious if that would work.

i believe BETHEVIPER did this and yes it works.

Oh BTW....as for running the SRX pipes on a Viper. Is there room to run the stock silencer or do you have to run an aftermarket one?

Thanks for all the references to this subject. I was looking through them and alot of good points were brought up that I hadn't thought of. One being the header length of the SRX pipes vs. the operating rpm and what each ignition was designed to obtain peak performance at. It almost looks as if there is no clear cut answer. Do you change header length? Do you run run it at 83-8400 peak rpm? How about a Viper with aftermarket pipes and a SRX ignition? Now you would have a set of pipes that were tuned for 8700-9000 rpm and an ignition tuned for 8300 unless you ran Benders which were tuned for 8500.

Boy Yamaha sure made this a hard sled to pipe ,that is for sure. You run aftermarkets and you have the burndown and over heating potential along with poor mileage. You run SRX pipes and a whole lot of fabricating and other issues are to be considered. You run a silencer and the sled falls flat on it's face............geez

I was seriously looking at buying some 2001 SRX pipes on ebay but now I am thinking it may not be worth all the hassle.

Journeyman, I have had my viper piped for 4 yrs and never once have I had the temp light come on. Its also never burned down either. Runs great. The mileage isn't great tho, as I get about 8mpg now. Also, I believe the srx boxes start cutting off at 8500 and I think Viper boxes start cutting off at 8800-9000. If you want to try the srx pipe conversion, I have a set of pipes and manifolds, from a '98 700 srx, for sale.

mopar1rules said:
Journeyman, I have had my viper piped for 4 yrs and never once have I had the temp light come on. Its also never burned down either. Runs great. The mileage isn't great tho, as I get about 8mpg now. Also, I believe the srx boxes start cutting off at 8500 and I think Viper boxes start cutting off at 8800-9000. If you want to try the srx pipe conversion, I have a set of pipes and manifolds, from a '98 700 srx, for sale.

Just in my obsevation I think the AAEN's you run are a bit more forgiving. Especially versus the CPR's I ran back in 2003. Yeh maybe they don't attain the larger HP numbers that CPR and even SLP do but reliability is a good thing. Are you using EGT's? Your photo looks like you may have megapower heads or SRX heads. I saw there was a set of AAEN's recently on ebay for around $400. I have run their pipes on some of my older Yamahas years ago.

You know I am thinking the Jaws I was searching for may be on the same level of performance as the AAEN's not boasting big HP but a bit more reliable.
The Jaws are way too expensive though with very little feedback out there.

journeyman said:
I was seriously looking at buying some 2001 SRX pipes on ebay but now I am thinking it may not be worth all the hassle.

after reading your post in this thread, I get the feeling youd be absolutley correct in your above quote, just keep the single pipe on it and enjoy it,better gas mpg and reliable. Pipes... wether you go yamaha srx set up with ALOT of fabrication,or aftermarket are not gonna be stock and just pull the rope and ride like your doing now.

If your not into fabricating and alot of tinkering around,tuning and having patience to see a project thru, I think your just begging for stress,and problems.

journeyman said:
Just in my obsevation I think the AAEN's you run are a bit more forgiving. Especially versus the CPR's I ran back in 2003. Yeh maybe they don't attain the larger HP numbers that CPR and even SLP do but reliability is a good thing. Are you using EGT's? Your photo looks like you may have megapower heads or SRX heads. I saw there was a set of AAEN's recently on ebay for around $400. I have run their pipes on some of my older Yamahas years ago.

You know I am thinking the Jaws I was searching for may be on the same level of performance as the AAEN's not boasting big HP but a bit more reliable.
The Jaws are way too expensive though with very little feedback out there.

its very possible that my aaen's are more forgiving than the CPR's. i know the CPR's have more top end hp, than the AAEN's. the pic in my avatar is my bro's viper, w/SLP's and mega-power heads. that thing has been bullet proof as well. SLP's are a very user friendly pipe IMO, and make more hp than the aaen's as well, w/a nice broad power band. i would be interested as well, in running a set of jaws pipes, but like you said, they are too much $$$. i did happen to see a set of them sell on ebay 2 yrs ago, for around $232, which was a steal. probably sold soo cheap, cause of very little feedback about them on the market.

mrviper700 said:
after reading your post in this thread, I get the feeling youd be absolutley correct in your above quote, just keep the single pipe on it and enjoy it,better gas mpg and reliable. Pipes... wether you go yamaha srx set up with ALOT of fabrication,or aftermarket are not gonna be stock and just pull the rope and ride like your doing now.

If your not into fabricating and alot of tinkering around,tuning and having patience to see a project thru, I think your just begging for stress,and problems.

I hear ya. I had one bad experience with the CPR's like have have mentioned before. Most of it being MY FAULT leaving my TPI valves in the airbox open on a COLD day. As for the fabricating, I am an OK welder but I do have access to some great welders in our machine shop at work. They are pretty cool about helping out being I am an electrician and we share each others talents if you know what I mean. My Viper is back to running strong this year in stock form and for the time and money I might spend into doing another pipe job on this sled it may not be worth it. I have been finding some clean SRX 700's around here for a little over $2K. I could have a second sled for what I might end up putting into this old horse.

mopar1rules said:
its very possible that my aaen's are more forgiving than the CPR's. i know the CPR's have more top end hp, than the AAEN's. the pic in my avatar is my bro's viper, w/SLP's and mega-power heads. that thing has been bullet proof as well. SLP's are a very user friendly pipe IMO, and make more hp than the aaen's as well, w/a nice broad power band. i would be interested as well, in running a set of jaws pipes, but like you said, they are too much $$$. i did happen to see a set of them sell on ebay 2 yrs ago, for around $232, which was a steal. probably sold soo cheap, cause of very little feedback about them on the market.

Ah....now that I looked closer those are SLP's on the photo. I should have noticed that. I remember having a chance at some new SLP's in the box from a member here several years ago for $500. I think it was Airwolf. I haven't seen him on here much lately other than parting sleds out.

Back